Small air sacs? Large number of infertile...getting some nerves

That's encouraging, I didn't think so many would be infertile but I guess it makes sense, they can't know when they send them out.

They eggs might all be fertile when they send them out. Being mailed is hard on eggs, as they get bumped and bounced and jiggled around, so it's common for the hatch rate to be poor because of that.

The GFF eggs I bought a while back were all fertile, most of them got scrambled and detached air sac by USPS.
One egg almost made it to lockdown but quit, total loss for me.

Wow I didn't realize! I guess it makes a lot of sense, poor things are bounced around so bad, I've wondered about shipping chicks and how they make it.

If I can see the dark ones have an air sac on the big end can I assume they did not have the air sac detach?

When do they usually start moving? I'm early in day 15 now and moving the humidity up a little bit, no egg movement so far (I do have them on a towel, I hope that's ok 😳)

Rats, I really don't like this incubator, when I woke up the thermometer read 99* so I wrapped a little more towel around it to help it warm up, a few hours later it was still 99* so I put another small towel around another area. Then about two hours later the top thermostat is flashing 38.8*C (almost 102*F) and the inside thermometer says about 101*F. They were probably like this for 2-2.5 hours. Is 102* warm enough to harm the babies? Day 15 here :(

They were probably like this for 2-2.5 hours. Is 102* warm enough to harm the babies? Day 15 here :(

They might be fine, and the only way to tell is just leave them in there and wait. Air temperature can change much faster than the temperature inside the eggs.

If it just happened, you might open the incubator for a few minutes to let out some of the extra heat. But if a few hours have already passed, the temperature will already be back down, so I would just leave it alone and hope for the best.

How many days until they are supposed to hatch?

They might be fine, and the only way to tell is just leave them in there and wait. Air temperature can change much faster than the temperature inside the eggs.

If it just happened, you might open the incubator for a few minutes to let out some of the extra heat. But if a few hours have already passed, the temperature will already be back down, so I would just leave it alone and hope for the best.

How many days until they are supposed to hatch?
By removing the towels around the incubator it dropped back to 99* within probably 4 minutes, air temp of course. I'm expecting 3 days till hatch

By removing the towels around the incubator it dropped back to 99* within probably 4 minutes, air temp of course. I'm expecting 3 days till hatch
Oh, good. I'm glad it went back so quickly.

In most cases, you can wait a week after the trouble and then candle the eggs to sort out which ones died and which are still living.

But with only 3 days to go, you will have your answer sooner than that ;)

Back
Top Bottom