Small animal bedding for nesting material?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heybarb, Feb 12, 2013.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I found a bag of CareFresh Small animal bedding in our garage and wondered if I could use it in the nest boxes for our chickens. The bag says it's made of "recycled woodpulp." It looks a lot like crumbled up paper.

This is what their website says...

When creating a living space for small pets like rodents, reptile, and rabbits, you want a pet bedding that is powerful, but gentle to the touch. CareFRESH Pet Bedding/Litter is all natural, dust free, and supplies a comfort home for your pet. This biodegradable pet bedding also has maximum absorbency and super odor control. Plus, CareFRESH Pet Bedding/Litter is never made with pine and cedar oil, materials that can harm your pet.
    CareFRESH Pet Bedding Litter Features and Benefits:

• All natural
    • #1 in odor control
    • Maximum absorbency
    • Dust free
    • Provides natural comfort
    • Easy cleanup
    • Earth friendly
    • Pine and cedar oil free
    • Biodegradable

Do you think it's ok to put in the nesting boxes?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, it'll probably make perfect nest box material. Soft and fluffy. I've used it in my brooder before since I had a bag leftover from when we had pet mice, it does not make good brooder material, wasn't very absorbent. But, I'm sure the hens will love to snuggle into it when they're laying their eggs :D
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by