Small bald spot on head of 6 week+ BR?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yay Chicks!, May 21, 2010.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi. Tried posting this in the ER, diseases section, but without response...and it's not an emergency that I can tell.
    My 6 or 7 week old Barred Rock has a small bald spot on the top of her head, probably about the size of a pencil eraser. The skin is not pink or irritated and I have not seen any of the other 3 chicks picking at her (and I watch them A LOT). She's acting just fine, other than that. Any ideas?
    I would love to post a picture but every time I try to upload I get error messages - so none for now [​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    maybe its just one of those awkward stages each one is different Mr grey had a spot on the back of his neck that was bald for a little while but now all his feathers have come in.
    I have 4 barred rocks all of them feathered differently 1 came in smooth while 2 females just looked like they stuck their finger in a light socket when the down feathers started coming off. Mr Grey my rooster just had smooth feathers but with 1 bald patch on the back of his neck. If it isnt bothering your chicken maybe its just a strange point in her life.

3. Swampwood

Swampwood Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Not to worry, it's going to be a Jewish chicken:D[​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Thanks, Stormymoon. Most of my questions run in the "is this normal?" range. Now, I'm wondering if it is normal to be finding several 4 inches feathers on the ground (from my 2 different colored EEs) at this stage of the game? Again, I'm not seeing any big time pecking, although, I did see one of the EEs picking at the tips of the BRs tail feathers. I put some Rooster Booster no peck stuff on them, to interrupt the obsessiveness (one track little tiny bird brains they have!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by