Small blood droppings. 13 week old chicks

If you haven't already, give them the oral dose, make sure they are drinking. If they are not, then give some of the medicated water also, let them rest, then give some more. I would continue to do that until you see some improvement and they start drinking on their own. The meds have to get in them to start working. Good luck.

If you haven't already, give them the oral dose, make sure they are drinking. If they are not, then give some of the medicated water also, let them rest, then give some more. I would continue to do that until you see some improvement and they start drinking on their own. The meds have to get in them to start working. Good luck.
He made it through the night. I gave him the meds directly last night and again this morning. I also gave him some medicated water this morning as well. The flock seems fine (small droppings of blood but behaviorally okay) and has been treated with medicated water. I am going to try to give them all medicated water/medicine directly this evening to help. Thanks for all your advice/suggestions.

Last edited:
Do they have crop issues with cocci as well? Sigh. I am new to chicks and this has never happened with my older girls.

The crop was still pretty squishy this morning and his fluffy butt was gross, so got that cleaned up best I could.

Do they have crop issues with cocci as well? Sigh. I am new to chicks and this has never happened with my older girls.

The crop was still pretty squishy this morning and his fluffy butt was gross, so got that cleaned up best I could.
Sometimes they can have crop issues.

Did he have access to food/water all night or early this morning before you checked the crop?
How's your brooder/housing set-up?

I would direct dose him for at least 3 days with the undiluted Corid as mentioned. In addition to doing that, do make sure he's drinking the mixed Corid water too. If he's not drinking well, syringe the mixed water into him several times a day. A wet mash can also be offered using the mixed water to make the mash. It's extremely hard to overdose Corid.

Not sure what your temps are, but he may benefit from a little heat. Sick chicks and adults often have a hard time regulating heat. If it's cool, then a little heat would be beneficial.
If the crop doesn't seem to be emptying, then I would start with giving coconut oil twice a day. Give small hardened chunks, usually they will eat that on their own. Then massage the crop, feel of it - is it doughy, fluid filled, etc.
I have treated chicks that age for Sour Crop and Coccidiosis, so if there's an odor, then I'd begin treating for that too. Yeast cream is what I use. This article is very good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sometimes they can have crop issues.

Did he have access to food/water all night or early this morning before you checked the crop?
How's your brooder/housing set-up?

I would direct dose him for at least 3 days with the undiluted Corid as mentioned. In addition to doing that, do make sure he's drinking the mixed Corid water too. If he's not drinking well, syringe the mixed water into him several times a day. A wet mash can also be offered using the mixed water to make the mash. It's extremely hard to overdose Corid.

Not sure what your temps are, but he may benefit from a little heat. Sick chicks and adults often have a hard time regulating heat. If it's cool, then a little heat would be beneficial.
If the crop doesn't seem to be emptying, then I would start with giving coconut oil twice a day. Give small hardened chunks, usually they will eat that on their own. Then massage the crop, feel of it - is it doughy, fluid filled, etc.
I have treated chicks that age for Sour Crop and Coccidiosis, so if there's an odor, then I'd begin treating for that too. Yeast cream is what I use. This article is very good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you!!! He did have access to food and water all night, however I didn't see much water or food missing. Should I remove that? Brooder is a XL rabbit cage where they were housed for many weeks before going outside. It is in the basement with a room temp of about 72F. I can put the heat lamp on if needed.

I did the mixed Corid water as well as the undiluted Corid directly with a syringe this morning I will repeat when I get home this evening. I was worried about overdosing so that is good to know.

I did not smell an odor when opening the beak for the meds. I will start the coconut oil this evening when I get home.

Thank you again!

If the brooder is dark at night, then I'd take out the food/water tonight, then check his crop first thing in the morning. The goal is to see if it's emptying overnight.

Do provide food/water during waking hours or if there's light on all night.

Hopefully this little one will start to improve!

If the brooder is dark at night, then I'd take out the food/water tonight, then check his crop first thing in the morning. The goal is to see if it's emptying overnight.

Do provide food/water during waking hours or if there's light on all night.

Hopefully this little one will start to improve!
Will do. It is dark at night. Light is on during the day.

Should I remove the food/water in the coop for the rest of the flock and check all crops in the morning as a baseline for the rest? I had been leaving food/water in their coop at night due to their age but can remove no problem.

My ready to lays were never this complex. LOL

If you have him isolated, it's not really necessary to remove the food/water for the others.

That said. You can do that if you wish - they will be sleeping and don't need access to food/water and it will give you a wide variety of crops to check for comparison.
If you decide to check all, then I suggest you check all when they go to roost/sleep. The crops will be filled at various levels you will find - some hens/pullets really feel full (piggies?:)) while others feel less full. Then feel again first thing - they should feel flat/empty.

Sometimes chicks can be a challenge.

If you have him isolated, it's not really necessary to remove the food/water for the others.

That said. You can do that if you wish - they will be sleeping and don't need access to food/water and it will give you a wide variety of crops to check for comparison.
If you decide to check all, then I suggest you check all when they go to roost/sleep. The crops will be filled at various levels you will find - some hens/pullets really feel full (piggies?:)) while others feel less full. Then feel again first thing - they should feel flat/empty.

Sometimes chicks can be a challenge.
Thank you so much. I can't say it enough you have been such a huge help.

He is quarantined for now, still. Much better this morning. Crop was empty and he started eating. Gave him meds directly and medicated water directly. His butt was much better this morning as well.

The others seem fine, did see some bloody poop but butts were clear. They got the meds directly and were given the medicated water as well. Hoping the bloody poops get cleared up quickly as this would be day 3 (this evening). Definitely not like it was but wondering how long it takes for the poop to clear up.

Their crops were various stages in the evening. I was not able to check this morning but will check again this evening.

Back
Top Bottom