Small breed of turkey ??

I'm thinking Midget White or Beltsville would be the smallest varieties

RobertH

X2
wink.png

I was given a trio (2 females and a male) of Midget White turkeys last January. They are sweet birds and great mothers. Our first clutch hatched at the end of May and we had one of those toms for Thanksgiving. He weighed 11 pounds and was delicious.
smile.png

I'm sold on Midget Whites! I can catch, pick up, and carry an 18 lb tom, no problem. No way with a bird that weighs almost as much as a 50 lb sack of feed!

Still, it cracks me up when folks visit for the first time, see "Ottoman" all puffed up in display, and say "Wow! Look at that huge turkey!"
ep.gif

I'm sold on Midget Whites! I can catch, pick up, and carry an 18 lb tom, no problem. No way with a bird that weighs almost as much as a 50 lb sack of feed!

Still, it cracks me up when folks visit for the first time, see "Ottoman" all puffed up in display, and say "Wow! Look at that huge turkey!"
ep.gif

Nice looking tom ! I'm hoping that I find some hatching eggs this spring !!

awesome bird, I also want to raise some turkeys, and was thinking the broad breasted, but I read somewhere they do not naturally breed, so I have been looking around for alternatives......... TY for this post and info. Kim

Toms should weigh no more than 14lbs if they are pure. It is important to cull out birds that aren't the proper size. There are quite a few places that sell Midget Whites....but they are a mix of Midget White and Beltsville. MW are the most friendly turkey I've ever had. They are curious and enjoy being around people.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom