1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

small businesses...what you use for credit card processor?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Jun 5, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their successes/failures with credit card processing companies to help me choose one? I am already planning on taking paypal but want to have options for those that hate paypal....so anyone want to share their experience with me? starting out small and hope to grow, like most do, but need a company that can do both large and small, what would be best?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I recently became a consultant for BeautiControl and wanted to be able to accept credit cards for orders at my 'home spa' parties.

I went with ProPay. You can get a hand held scanner from them if needed that will scan the credit card and store the needed info til you can download it to your computer to process the charges....or....you can just log into your account and type in the credit card info to process....that is typically what I do on my laptop at the party when taking orders, that way I don't have to write anyone's CC info down on paper and you will know the charge went thru (or not) in an instant......

Their set up fee and 'per transaction' fee is very nominal.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    mine will mostly be internet sales, we will be producing a product but hope to carry other products as well...local sales will be vendors...

4. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    hmmm....I see.....

Check out ProPay. they may have a system that will work for online orders that I didn't notice.

Good Luck on your new business venture [​IMG]

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    We use a company called First American and have the small credit card terminal like you see in most small retail stores. My biggest input would be regarding AMEX (American Express). They were charging us $5.00 a month to accept their cards, whether or not we had any Amex charges. And most of our customers do not even use Amex, so for us, it was not worth it and we stopped accepting Amex.

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Any of the major CC companies can set up your merchant account directly for all CC & debit cards, or just ones you want to accept. You can set up a merchant account directly with Discover, for example, and get a processor, instead of going with a bundled outside merchant/processor...those types charge much higher fees and can be problematic.

In contract to swiping, I'd suggest a virtual key-in terminal that uses computer software, so cards can be accepted in person or over the phone, no swipe needed. Saves money and is often much more convenient for customers. It's worked for me as a start up many years ago processing less than $30K a year to years later doing over $1M, so I'd suggest checking out yourpay.com (firstdata) virtual terminal processing along with a direct merchant account. All the best for your biz in the future! [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use ChasePaymentTech... through Chase Bank.

I take everything but American Express.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I use Square. THe reader attaches to the jack in my I-phone. If I am not where I can get internet, I use propay and a knuckle buster.

I take PayPal online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by