1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small Chick Brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FrozenChicken, Apr 3, 2007.

1. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Here is a couple pictures of the brooder I built for small chicks. It's a small 4X6 building with two large doors in the front for easy care of the chicks. A beam down the middle inside is where the lamps hang down and vents in both sides allow air to flow through the building for ventilation. I have it on skids so I can move it about when I want to make a pen in a clean area. Hatch door on back not shown.
    I put tin on the roof and painted it blue as well. It works pretty good for smaller amounts of chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

That looks great!! Good Job! I need to get to building another one myself....more chickens coming..and need more room!

3. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    how many chicks can you brood in there?

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow, that's small? [​IMG]
    It looks great! And smart to be able to move it too!
    [​IMG]

5. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I've put as many as 50 chicks but in a few weeks the building was too small and they had to be moved. Later in the summer i gave it to a brooding hen who was taking over my nestbox [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by