small chicken eggs, please help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nanc0143, May 17, 2009.

1. nanc0143

nanc0143 New Egg

May 17, 2009
    I have only three chickens for pets and eggs. Two Rhode Isle Reds and one barred rock.
    The problem I am having is they are laying small eggs. They are over a year old and the eggs aren't getting any larger.
    A friend of ours told us that he had Rhode Isle Reds and they were large eggs.
    Am I doing something wrong or what is happening?
    The chickens are getting the best lay pellets and fresh water all the time. They are on the range all day until I lock them in at dusk.
    What is the problem, does anyone know?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    nanc1430

2. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, I am still new to chickens....I have only had mine for a week! [​IMG]
    But I am curious as to what others have to say.. have you read any info about egg production?
    Do they get oyster shell with their food?[​IMG]

3. Agape Builder

Agape Builder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    This might sound like a stupid question, but how large are your birds? Rhode Island Reds (and I think Barred Rocks, but not sure on those) come in both standard full sized birds and smaller bantam versions. The bantam versions are going to lay a smaller egg than the full sized versions.

Remember, a RIR is a big meaty bird and I am guessing that your birds should be at least a good 6-8 pounds already. If they are only 3-5, then you have bantams and you will always get smaller eggs.

4. meme9726

meme9726 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Byers, CO
    Did they just begin laying? First time layers will begin with small eggs but they will get larger if this is the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by