Small chicken farmer

papa toot

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2016
I have a small flock... 4RIR's,2NHR's,1Americuna,1 Bar Rock... Turns out 1RIR and the Bar Rock are cockerels... I only need 1. Which should I keep???

My small flock is 20 weeks old... The last few nights my easter egger has not been returning to the coop with the other hens and rooster... She has been hiding somewhere nearby... But she's always there in the morning, right outside the coop... Could she be laying, and how do I get her to do so in the coop???

papa toot.
I would suggest that you go and get your EE and bring her into the coop right before dark and after a few nights of this or if she isn't use to being held temp her in with her favorite treat and before you know she will be in coop at night.

papa toot.
I would suggest that you go and get your EE and bring her into the coop right before dark and after a few nights of this or if she isn't use to being held temp her in with her favorite treat and before you know she will be in coop at night.

As to the original question, I would cull both roosters. I strongly recommend an all hen flock the first year. Gives you some experience, as is the roosters will terrorize the pullets for the next two months, until the pullets mature.

Add a mature rooster next Spring. A mature rooster will have his disposition pretty well confirmed, roosters are easy to get, and your girls will be ready for them.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom