Small Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrchicken, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    My 4 chickens are 10 weeks old (they were all born on the same day) but one chicken is the size of a normal 4-5 week old chicken.
    I have one big chicken, a smaller one, an even smaller one, and finally the small one.
    Is this a sickness? Is there anything I can do about this?[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are they all the same breed?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I wouldn't say they were sick. Sometimes they do grow at different rates....And they will also get their feathers at different rates too sometimes. As long as they've got plenty of food and water, and they're acting fine, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you could feed them some chopped egg yolks for some estra protein. That might help!

Sharon

4. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Thanks. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME BREED!!!

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The smaller chickens will probably catch up. I had one that was a runt but she caught up.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    In my experience, there is always a little peanut. They all grow at their own rate, but typically they eventually get to around the same size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Maybe the others aren't small - maybe your one chicken is an abnormally FAST grower...lol. jkidding [​IMG] As was said, as long as they are eating/drinking/behaving normally, I wouldn't worry...

8. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Quote:x2

9. kauffmann

kauffmann Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    my chicken is realy small and it is shivering is that normal it is a month old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by