Small Cochin Hen is Getting Bullied Pretty Badly. Time to Rehome, or Other Options?

ChickenLover741

Chirping
Jul 19, 2015
I recently bought three new hens to add to my little flock- two brahmas and a cochin. Now, I'm unfamiliar with the cochin breed but I've heard they're bigger chickens and the one I have seems a lot more like a bantam to me. Anyway, the brahmas are settling in decently but the cochin is getting her head pecked bloody by ALL other chickens and she only eats or drinks when I've let everybody else out for the day (I free range them most of the time). I've used Rooster Booster and Blu Kote but the hens still peck her whenever she gets close. It's been a week and she just hides under the shed all day, only sneaking out to grab a bite to eat every now and then. She's such a sweet chicken and I would love to keep her but I'm starting to think keeping her in a state of constant terror (and baldness) is cruel. Is there anything else I can try or should I just give up and try to rehome her? :(

A week isn't long enough. I would keep her separated by a fence for a few weeks before trying to let her mingle. Is she a bantam or standard? Are your other birds bantams or standard? How big is your set up with how many birds?
I don't have a fence but I have a large dog kennel. And I would assume she's a bantam only because I've heard Cochins are supposed to be large, but she's not as small as the other bantam chickens I've had in the past. I have a flock of 12 total with the other 11 consisting of brahmas, wyandottes, easter eggers, jersey giants, and columbian rock crosses. None of them are bantam and I have a small coop not suited for full-time use, it's really just to keep them safe at night while they roost before I free range them during the day. (I have an 8x8 shed coming soon for winter that I'm converting into a coop)

If she's truly a bantam than she may be better off in a bantam flock. Cochins in general are easy going birds. I would not confine her with the rest. Things can quickly get ugly with chickens. Integrating new birds can take weeks, or even months. New birds are generally seen as intruders, and can often be attacked.

If she's truly a bantam than she may be better off in a bantam flock. Cochins in general are easy going birds. I would not confine her with the rest. Things can quickly get ugly with chickens. Integrating new birds can take weeks, or even months. New birds are generally seen as intruders, and can often be attacked.
As sad as it is, I probably will look for a new home for her :( I don't want her to have a poor quality of life and judging by how things are going right now that's where we're headed. I'll give it another go with the dog kennel separation but I'm thinking it's better for her to be in a bantam flock as you suggested. I hope I can find somebody with bantams who would be willing to take her. Sad days :( but I think it's the right thing to do

As sad as it is, I probably will look for a new home for her :( I don't want her to have a poor quality of life and judging by how things are going right now that's where we're headed. I'll give it another go with the dog kennel separation but I'm thinking it's better for her to be in a bantam flock as you suggested. I hope I can find somebody with bantams who would be willing to take her. Sad days :( but I think it's the right thing to do

Where are you located?
I keep a flock of super mellow bantams and bigs. The leader is a 10+ year old bantam cochin. They are very accepting of newcomers.

At least having her in the dog crate with her own food and water if she can see the others would be good and keep her safe. Maybe after some time, you could try some supervised short visits free ranging. Hopefully she will be accepted, but she might be happier in a bantam flock. When I first started with chickens, I had 4 bantams in with my large fowl from the beginning as day old chicks. The bantams were lower in pecking order, but never got picked on or bullied.

Offer food and water in 2+ locations as well, it's unlikely that they will deny her access to food and water in both (all) locations. How long did you have her in quarantine in a look-don't-touch housing situation? They typically need 1 month quarantine (for health reasons), with at least 2 weeks of seeing and hearing each other without being able to mingle to ease the integration process. So... if they didn't get that look-don't-touch time, you might want to back up the integration process to there...placing your cochin in the kennel and preferably putting that kennel into the coop. Once you're ready to try integrating again, I suggest that you try for a one hour, totally supervised visit with the flock, preferably an hour before sundown; the timing could make it easier to retrieve her should things get ugly as she'll quit running at sundown. If that first visit goes well, try for 2 hours, totally supervised the next day... if that goes well, try for 3 hours partially supervised on the third day, and with luck you'll find her roosting with everyone else come sundown. Best of luck.

Could she be a Late Bloomer? My oldest crew, 17 weeks, is made up of five Jersey Giants and 4 Wyandottes. 2 of the JG girls were much smaller than the rest. 2nd day in the coop, they got beaten bloody by the others. Separated 2 weeks now, and well fed, their size has caught up to the others. Currently in our small coop in the Run, All are getting reacquainted. We hope for a smooth reunion in a few weeks...JJ

Back
Top Bottom