Small comb

MountainMomma359

Songster
Apr 14, 2022
Little Bit is my barred rock, she is about 5.5 months old. Her comb hasn't changed much since I got her at about a month old. It has always been deeper red so much so that I worried she was a he for a bit. The guy I got her from breeds barred rock that are higher quality and the adults I saw all had large combs. Her sisters (not BRs) I knew when they were about to lay when their combs changed color and grew. She is near POL based on her age and bone changes. Is she just an oddball with a small comb?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929-193549_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929-193549_Photos.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 9
Chicken features vary according to each individual just as humans do. The size of your feet and, umm, other parts, really have no bearing on whether you should be considered and oddball. So it is with chickens.

Years ago, I got five Welsummer pullets. All developed the typical large single comb typical of the breed. But one girl had a very abbreviated version. She was normal as the others in every way.

About the only issue with comb size is if you are a breeder. You wouldn't use your girl with the shrimpy comb in your breeding program. Other than that, size of comb is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom