Small coop advice

SureIsSweetTho

Chirping
Mar 5, 2020
I need to build a small coop or the duck version of a doghouse really. Ideally it will be portable-ish. I was thinking 2x2 or 2x3 feet (~30 cm in a foot) of floor space, maybe 3/4 feet high. Do they like a raised floor or on the ground? I'm planning for a single duck but they don't always use things as intended. I have an idea to design it to be backed up to the side of a screened in patio with a large vent up to the screen so I can see in from the patio. That strip of yard alongside the patio is also where I plant my garden, and it would be cool to be able to move it along the bed. They'll be free to come and go though so it can't be a floor that they hate. Is the poop-over-the-garden thing hoping for too much? I have a poor single orphaned duckling, 4 weeks old, so I want to build this on the patio for now and make it his home and eventually move it outside but backed up to the same patio.. kind of a baby steps to semi independent yard duck, and if he wants to eat the worms off my tomato plants that's fine too. I'm in Florida, gonna be super hot, would lattice or hardware cloth sides be preferable to solid sides? I see a ton of coops online but they're mostly pretty big and I'm not sure what's important when scaling down? It's a sunny spot, best roof material for heat instead of snow? Does it need a certain height to get the cooling effect of heat rising? Advice on the doorway? I worry a little about predators but mostly hawks, no ground predators. It's been a while since I did any carpentry so I'm a little excited. Any advice or links to examples greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long post. I didn't have time to write a short one.

I'm having a really hard time trying to visualize your set up idea. If you could take some pictures it would be helpful.

What breed is your duck? what sex is it?

If you are planning on it keeping the bugs out of your garden be aware that it will also eat whatever you've planted unless you fence it off. Yes, it will eat the bugs too but you won't have anything to eat yourself.

I would suggest hardware cloth no matter what or where you are for your night time coop. Don't forget about snakes, minks, weasels. They can certainly get in kill your duck and the for sure will eat the eggs if you leave any hole more than 1/2" big. Also, make sure you build into your little house a way for you to clean it without climbing in through a tiny little door. Maybe put the roof on hinges so it can be lifted for easy cleaning?

Also, ducks are very social and it would be really nice to give it a little friend if you could.

I had a tiny duck house for 4 ducks untill i could save up and build a big one
i can only find 2 pictires
The top topends on hinges, like @DuckyDonna seid its important to be able to get into it easily for cleaning and eggs and stuff
20190429_182203.jpg
20190429_182144.jpg

Here's a sketch of what I had in mind. It's the same patio wall from outside the patio and from inside the patio, and a giant vent at the top of the back wall of the coop that I can see through via patio screen, and it could be relocated left and right along the wall. It would have to be strategically placed due to the giant vent in the back, but it would be mostly protected from sun and rain even with the giant vent. I kind of want to leave the vent unscreened so that when I open the roof it opens up pretty far, but I could see screening it over too to make it more secure in a standalone situation.

Attachments

• duck house.png
    duck house.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 6
Here's a sketch of what I had in mind. It's the same patio wall from outside the patio and from inside the patio, and a giant vent at the top of the back wall of the coop that I can see through via patio screen, and it could be relocated left and right along the wall. It would have to be strategically placed due to the giant vent in the back, but it would be mostly protected from sun and rain even with the giant vent. I kind of want to leave the vent unscreened so that when I open the roof it opens up pretty far, but I could see screening it over too to make it more secure in a standalone situation.

Make sure the ramp is very slightly angled, ducks can have a real hard time with ramps. Looks good besides that!
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom