Small dog attacked my 3 yo submissive hen

Pics

TropicalBabies

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Kauai, Hawaii
Hi BYC Pros,
My aunties Lhasa Apso attacked my 3 yo BR hen. She is a favorite, very submissive so I am sure she hunkered down while being attacked. She is chewed in the rear, breathing hard/panting so I have her in a hen size box in the house with me. Hoping she does not have a heart attack so I am taking it slow. My plan was to let her settle for a bit, then give her a hydro clean, antiseptic wash, neosporin (no pain med) finish. I would like aspirin dosage please and any additional advice.
She will be living inside our home in the quiet for as long as needed 20210301_154918.jpg .
*** Have Photo warning****
Big mahalos in advance for your assist.
She is of good weight 5-7lb, just wormed, matriarch.
Not taking electrolyte yet. Will offer wet feed when I find aspirin dosage

Last edited:
The photo will be vary helpful, then we can help you figure out a treatment plan.
Is she still in shock? I would immediately treat for shock with sugar water and a pinch of salt. You can also offer her Gatorade to help with shock as well. Give her a moment, then clean to her woulds with what I call "serial solutions" or Saline solution, Clorhexadine preferably, or diluted iodine. After that, clip any feathers away from the would that mayday into it or touch it, that is to keep ut clean. Then apply a THICK layer of Neosporin to keep it moist and to aid in healing. Don't wrap, that will likely trap bacteria, and leave her be.
You can also add electrolytes, to her water, or apple cider vinegar to give her a boost.

It can also be helpful to make her food into a mash with some water, so it's easier to eat. Make are she is in a warm, stress free place were she can recover from shock.
When you say "hydro clean", what product are you talking about?
Hope I can help and she starts to feel better soon!
Aloha Weeg, I edited and posted photo.

It can also be helpful to make her food into a mash with some water, so it's easier to eat. Make are she is in a warm, stress free place were she can recover from shock.
When you say "hydro clean", what product are you talking about?
Hope I can help and she starts to feel better soon!
really appreciate your calm head. I'm a little floaty in the head hoping what i think i know kicks in. We have this for our horses, also blu kot and a slurry of other stuff. I also can send my DH to our feed store down the road. Any and all knowledge is great :love

20210301_162236.jpg

Aloha Weeg, I edited and posted photo.
Aloha right back to you! :)
It doesn't look to bad, did the dog just take the skin off her back? Doesn't look like there is a lot of bleeding either, so that is good.
Is she still in shock? How long ago did this happen?
Hopefully I can help! I bet your sweet hen will be doing great again soon with your care!

really appreciate your calm head. I'm a little floaty in the head hoping what i think i know kicks in. We have this for our horses, also blu kot and a slurry of other stuff. I also can send my DH to our feed store down the road. Any and all knowledge is great :love

View attachment 2551402
That is perfect! That is a great cleanser, once she is removed from shock, clean her wounds with that solution, then apply Neosporin. Its so great you have that on hand! Blue Kote may dry out that wound I would use your solution and Neosporin.

It does not look bad at all.

Do you happen to have a bigger box or a dog crate that you can put her in?
Having her crammed in this small box is probably freaking her out.
Yes, I will find one. I was one handing it and trying to be fast and efficiet and calm... UGh!!! Thanks for saying it does not look bad- that does my heart very well :love

Back
Top Bottom