Small dog attacked my 3 yo submissive hen

@Weeg @Kiki :hugsI can not thank you two enough!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I am so grateful I had you two to think for me and move me in the right direction till my brain kicked in. Bravo!!!
After Mazie's breathing calmed and flock was fed and locked up in the run, I readied her bed. I then hydro cleaned (gently shooting water to wash out dirt), poured the diluted Chlorhexidine over her wounds repeatedly, dabbed dry, removed any additional feathers from area- also finding the wound larger than originally thought- then neosporin.
29860~2.jpeg
29860.jpeg

20210301_174833~2.jpg

Some punctures through the fat into leg muscle (??) and close to her vent with little blood. She has a swollen behind but can stand on her own mostly she is still resting... her appetite is good.
20210301_174458.jpg

I had some quiche in the fridge that I gave her along with softened food and Gatorade to drink. I'll scramble her crunchies with eggs for a few days and add B12 or Nutra drench to her Gatorade if you gals think that is a good idea.
I have her in my top brooder with a heating pad so she can still see and hear the flock. We will most likely stay in the 70's tonight. K. Gunna check on my patient. Thank you for any additional thoughts and advice you think I need.

I think you have done well with this. Keep the wounds clean and apply the neosporin.
It's good that she's eating/drinking.
It is pretty warm during our days so maybe a hydro clean/Chlorhexidine/Neosporin repeat a few times per day x a few days? I see those deep teeth marks and would like to be sure I got the dogs bacteria cleaned out. I imagine she will be stiff tomorrow too. Should I 20/20 ice and heat her as much as possible? Just when you can get back to me on that. She is sleeping now and I will leave her till tomorrow. Thanks again all!

Aloha kakahiaka folks! 🌺😷🤙
This morning Mazie was well.... like normal energy well, like she is dying to get out and be with the flock well, like despite the huge fatty wound she has on her back well... and I can't quite wrap my mind around it, well. I have never had a chicken attacked in this manor with a wound as big as my unusually big, achy woman's hand, and with no skin... unbelievable. I will do some research on why she feels almost 100% or how she is going to heal. So far my brief searches have found me nothing but I'll keep looking. Till then, posting my experience for prosperity.

When it warms a little more I will start her cleaning regiment and maybe put her in my small dog cage on my back lanai. It had escaped my mind that I had a small open cage in the heat of the moment :confused: matter of fact, much escaped me in the heat of the moment...:hit lol?
My DH picked up Scarlex Oil from our horses $500000 first aide kit- lots of wounds and drama with those guys through the years :th. The Scarlex seems like a good tool but I will continue to just keep Mazie's wound clean and use topical Neosporin like suggested until I hear differently, and keep my eye out for infection. I do have a few antibiotics on hand -Cephalexin and Amoxicillin and would consider putting her on Cephalexin except she is so normal behaving. I will give her 1/2 baby aspirin on her mornings scramble so see if she calms like @Weeg said she may. For those of you who know, is there anything else I can give her so she kinda knocks out? I have lorazepam (lol) and Trazodone (for the pup). Just curious. ;)

Why do you want to knock her out? Chickens do not do well with sedatives, they may even kill her.
She's eating/drinking and moving around.
Keep the wound clean and apply the ointment to keep it moist. A lot of times an oral antibiotic is not needed if the wound has been tended/monitored.

Normal energy is good, doesn't sound like she's in a lot of pain. Chickens will generally self limit activity.
If you can crate her outside so she can get a little sunshine and her flock can see her that may help. Careful that flies don't get to the wound.

There is no need to stress her more.
What do you mean by this? Don't move her, or do move her?
Aloha kakahiaka folks! 🌺😷🤙
This morning Mazie was well.... like normal energy well, like she is dying to get out and be with the flock well, like despite the huge fatty wound she has on her back well... and I can't quite wrap my mind around it, well. I have never had a chicken attacked in this manor with a wound as big as my unusually big, achy woman's hand, and with no skin... unbelievable. I will do some research on why she feels almost 100% or how she is going to heal. So far my brief searches have found me nothing but I'll keep looking. Till then, posting my experience for prosperity.

When it warms a little more I will start her cleaning regiment and maybe put her in my small dog cage on my back lanai. It had escaped my mind that I had a small open cage in the heat of the moment :confused: matter of fact, much escaped me in the heat of the moment...:hit lol?
My DH picked up Scarlex Oil from our horses $500000 first aide kit- lots of wounds and drama with those guys through the years :th. The Scarlex seems like a good tool but I will continue to just keep Mazie's wound clean and use topical Neosporin like suggested until I hear differently, and keep my eye out for infection. I do have a few antibiotics on hand -Cephalexin and Amoxicillin and would consider putting her on Cephalexin except she is so normal behaving. I will give her 1/2 baby aspirin on her mornings scramble so see if she calms like @Weeg said she may. For those of you who know, is there anything else I can give her so she kinda knocks out? I have lorazepam (lol) and Trazodone (for the pup). Just curious. ;)
I wouldn't want to knock her out, she is doign fine as is, sedatives are very dangerous to chickens.
Its so great that you have all of that stuff on hand to clean her wound! That is awesome! Keep up the good work and keep us posted, your doing great so far!

Back
Top Bottom