Small dog attacked my 3 yo submissive hen

Hi BYC Pros,
My aunties Lhasa Apso attacked my 3 yo BR hen. She is a favorite, very submissive so I am sure she hunkered down while being attacked. She is chewed in the rear, breathing hard/panting so I have her in a hen size box in the house with me. Hoping she does not have a heart attack so I am taking it slow. My plan was to let her settle for a bit, then give her a hydro clean, antiseptic wash, neosporin (no pain med) finish. I would like aspirin dosage please and any additional advice.
She will be living inside our home in the quiet for as long as neededView attachment 2551399.
*** Have Photo warning****
Big mahalos in advance for your assist.
She is of good weight 5-7lb, just wormed, matriarch.
Not taking electrolyte yet. Will offer wet feed when I find aspirin dosage
Many may disagree but I would put her In A quiet spot guit peeking at her she is stressed out. Go to the store and get saline solution or contact lens cleaner get two bottles and a small jar of Vaseline. Drench her wound a few times a day and after the second day put a little Vaseline e o. It to make sure flies do t come around. Dont give her asprin just quiet and time. Give a week she will be back out with the flock

Aloha gang, thanks again for chiming in! I really appreciate the support :hugs
She was very active this morning and today- I thought she was too active pacing and trying to escape back out to the flock and thought she may do better if she settled some. I forgot about the effects of pain meds on chickens, thanks for the reminder 😬.
Antibiotics because she is in the tropics and we get nasty stuff floating around and a doc would give a person with bad injuries an antibiotic but again, just a thought that I ran by but did not act on. But I am prepared, I think/hope.

After her 1st bath in the morning I did move her to our back lanai where she did a bit better. My brooder can get hot in the late noon already and it is about the same to be able to access her and a bit less of a movie to clean.
No photos of her wounds as I was solo but did the same- hydro/Chlorhexidine/Neosporin
X2. She tried jumping out of the sink a few times (amazing) but was mostly a good patient. Tomorrow I will just do 1X.
We were able to piece together how she got caught a little better. Seems she got into my aunties (puppies) compound (20x20 back 6' walled and mostly covered patio with landscape) somehow, she snuck in because that is where the feathers were found. What was seen of dog catching her vs time and feathers were not adding up prior to = the damage she sustained. So... it was a even bigger fluke than originally thought and we will have to be more careful now that puppy had fun mauling my chicken. Def less free range and more run time even though separated by fences, not chancing it. 20210302_130940.jpg 20210302_130949.jpg
She has managed to knock everything down and over so will be rethinking food and water again lol.

Mahalo for the good thoughts and help and head check again folks. 🌺🤙Much appreciated.

Hi BYC Pros,
My aunties Lhasa Apso attacked my 3 yo BR hen. She is a favorite, very submissive so I am sure she hunkered down while being attacked. She is chewed in the rear, breathing hard/panting so I have her in a hen size box in the house with me. Hoping she does not have a heart attack so I am taking it slow. My plan was to let her settle for a bit, then give her a hydro clean, antiseptic wash, neosporin (no pain med) finish. I would like aspirin dosage please and any additional advice.
She will be living inside our home in the quiet for as long as neededView attachment 2551399.
*** Have Photo warning****
Big mahalos in advance for your assist.
She is of good weight 5-7lb, just wormed, matriarch.
Not taking electrolyte yet. Will offer wet feed when I find aspirin dosage
Blu-kote you can make your own with iodine and blue food colouring... works like a charm I use it myself

Do you have a way to fence in a small area for her outside so she can have a bit more room and still be protected?

Sounds GREAT that you have Chlorhexidine and Neosporin. I would only flush the wound as needed since you have gotten through the first 24hours and your Gal is active/eating/drinking. Keep the Neosporin on the wounds to keep them protected and moist. Do watch for flies.

Hope all goes well for you! Good luck

Blu-kote you can make your own with iodine and blue food colouring... works like a charm I use it myself
It was suggested I don't used the Blu kote because it will dry it out. I figure the first couple days are critical to not let dry to quick??? Maybe later it will be recommended??? I have never had to deal with a mauling like this. My chooks die from heat, coccidiosis, heart attacks and my old, now rehomed dog who never left a mark when he got them. Hence he was able to stick around till he got caught. :hmm

Last edited:
It was suggested I don't used the Blu kote because it will dry it out. I figure the first couple days are critical to not let dry to quick??? Maybe later it will be recommended??? I have never had to deal with a mauling like this. My chooks die from heat, coccidiosis, heart attacks and my old, now rehomed dog never left a mark when he got them. Hence he was able to stick around till he got caught. :hmm
My pup attacks my chooks “a lot” I use blu-kote a lot... you need to get the anti septic on the wound to stop infection... just like when you cut yourself or need to treat a child’s grazed knee you put on antiseptic cream to stop the infection...

Do you have a way to fence in a small area for her outside so she can have a bit more room and still be protected?

Sounds GREAT that you have Chlorhexidine and Neosporin. I would only flush the wound as needed since you have gotten through the first 24hours and your Gal is active/eating/drinking. Keep the Neosporin on the wounds to keep them protected and moist. Do watch for flies.

Hope all goes well for you! Good luck
Yes, I have an XL dog cage or can make something for her. Shady grass area sound good? I'll put her under a nice tree. Auntie is really upset by this and would be thrilled to see her be able to be out like that. Will do tomorrow. :ya

It was suggested I don't used the Blu kote because it will dry it out. I figure the first couple days are critical to not let dry to quick??? Maybe later it will be recommended??? I have never had to deal with a mauling like this. My chooks die from heat, coccidiosis, heart attacks and my old, now rehomed dog never left a mark when he got them. Hence he was able to stick around till he got caught. :hmm
blue-kote is only needed when your dealing with other hens pecking an injured hen.
Please don't use blue kote, it won't help your hen heal and as said, it may dry out

Back
Top Bottom