Small dog attacked my 3 yo submissive hen

When I opened the run gates for the flock this morning Mz Mazie was all perked up and ready to go, since we had blue skies I thought I would put her in her outdoor jail early but she wiggled out of my light grip and decided she did not want to be caught again. Her rules- that's the Mazie I know and love and kinda cute and funny cept the roos were circling. So I was able to scoot the boys out w/o incident and locked the girls in the run and garden area to eat and squawk and lay, letting them out when pau or as they wanted but no boys in. Mazie did great- we looked for bugs and she got to exercise her legs lightly digging in the sand and walking to the stumps I turned over for her. At first and mostly, she looked pretty sheepish till bugs were involved, then she asserted her hierarchy no problem and I knew she was fine.
By the time the clouds came back and started letting loose a few drops Mazie let me pick her up and put her back in her pen rather easily. All ended well for Mazie's unintentional first day back out. The flock had great interaction with her, kind and respectful and I think she likes and trusts me that much more.
20210313_115923~2.jpg 20210313_115903.jpg

The sand does not look it but it was wet from the rains. That was the reason I let her stay in the run like she wanted, dry sand- no way.
Her appetite is much the same, maybe a little better. She only picked at the wet feed and I don't think it makes any difference at this point but will resort to it again if needed. No success on the scramble but the rest of the flock said thank you when it went their way.

today I am doing much of the same for Mazie. She is getting her morning out with the girls- no boys allowed 🌴:cool: just the girls only club in the run and garden- working out a jacket for her in my head so she can wander with more freedoms but being she is so tore up, I think just keeping roosters away is going to be the way to go for her, for awhile anyways. I will most likely lock them up for periods of time to solve my problem in the coming week.
Her food dish was almost all cleaned up this morning and she is wandering picking. She likes the sand more than grit I was giving so obviously helpful.

Last edited:
Mazie spent most of her day out today. We did have a bit of rain for a few hours around noon so I put her up till it passed, when it cleared I put her in her outside jail so the whole flock could wander freely (except her). Her appetite seems to be quickly improving so just about a 1/2 tbsp of tomato and x2 worms for the extra calories and protein, she is getting closer to eating that 1/4 cup of crumble, when I put her up this eve her crop felt so/so but she ate semi enthusiastically when I added fresh crumble. I'll let her fill up and then take her out some meal worms. ;)
Tomorrow I will give Mazie (probably) her last Hawaiian salt and warm water soak & check her for objects that don't belong, she is healing up and I want to make sure I got everything out. I'd like to coat her with Neosporin for the last time, then switch to a Scarlet Oil-Antiseptic/Germicidal/Fungicidal from then on. It seems less likely to collect dirt, better coverage etc. Scarlex is a light oil spray- no drying. *** Has anyone used it and have thoughts, or not used it and have thoughts and warnings?! Mahalo! 20210314_181113.jpg 20210314_182715.jpg
Look at that posture- like a regular girl!!!!
20210314_182731.jpg

Last edited:
Scarlet oil may be fine as it heals a bit more, it's really not for large areas.
Neosporin is fine to use or if you are inclined to try something different/make your own, then I would use something like described in this thread. Down toward the bottom of the first post she shows her mixture and how much she used. It would be a bit sticky, but this rooster healed great. If I were out of "conventional" ointments (neosporin) this is what I would do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ncludes-graphic-images.1290926/#post-20952406

Scarlet oil may be fine as it heals a bit more, it's really not for large areas.
Neosporin is fine to use or if you are inclined to try something different/make your own, then I would use something like described in this thread. Down toward the bottom of the first post she shows her mixture and how much she used. It would be a bit sticky, but this rooster healed great. If I were out of "conventional" ointments (neosporin) this is what I would do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ncludes-graphic-images.1290926/#post-20952406
Oh my goodness that was an incredible read! Thank you so much for sharing on many levels. I was pretty much glued and invested in her process. What an incredible heal and happy ending.
Well, the OP's research on her ointment/poultice is fun and fabulous. I will need to look on the internet and get some of the ingredients shipped as I am absolutely sure a few of those items are NO WHERE near me but I sure love the sounds of them.
Thank you @Wyorp Rock -much appreciated!

Last edited:
OK, that is good info. I am just a bit worried about her picking up sand and matter now that she is out and about more and with her healing kicking in... and the tropics 😬 I will continue with the Neosporin and thank you so much!

Earlier this morning I put Mazie out in the garden and let a few of her buds in with her, then I let them all sneak out into the big yard while the boys are locked in the run lol. I'll deal with the corralling later- after she has had her time. I was taken aback when her pals protectively flanked her on all sides as they made their way to the thickest parts of the lawn to munch on the fresh tops. Chickens amaze me. Normally when one is down they avoid but I have noticed my girls, especially the older are fiercely loyal and devoted to her and each other, a quality I don't much associate with chickens. This display of protection for one another, as opposed to squabbling for food is absolutely heart warming and makes me think that chickens are surely the better species. Now, if they only had thumbs.... I'm sure they would rule the world.... in a very kind and squabbly way.

20210315_074136 (2).jpg 20210315_074233 (2).jpg

No soak for Mazie today as the weather was still a little goofy and her play time seemed important too. She had most all of her day in the run, mostly because she would not let me near her and I did not want to stress her by chasing her. When it started raining a little hard this late noon I went to put her back up in her pen and it took me a few moments to find her... I did not think to look up but when I did, there she was, all by herself!
20210315_163749.jpg
She had to do a couple of good hops to get to this place as you can see from my below photo. I wish I could have let her stay but she needed to get her final meal in and be kept safe from roosters. Fantastic milestone though. She is coming right along though still a bit sluggish.
20210215_182044 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom