Small dog overdosed on Adams Spray - need advice Please

I work for a vet and I would have recommended she bathe him last night in a stripping shampoo like Dawn. It would have washed all of the Adams off of him. Please do not give sugar and milk. Milk can cause stomach upset and diarrhea and sugar can cause a spike in blood sugar followed by a drastic drop. She needs to QUIT giving daily baths and spraying with Adams. If she's using the drops and then bathing daily, all she's doing is bathing the drops off. She needs to get him on a good flea control. Comfortis would be what I recommend. It is a pill given by mouth. The drops just don't seem to keep up when there is a bad flea infestation. If she has other animals, she needs to treat them all for fleas and it sounds like she needs to treat the yard. She also needs to feed him a food with no corn, wheat, soy, by products or artificial colors. White dogs in particular seem to have more sensitivities to things.

If it were me, I'd go get the dog and get it to a vet. Just because someone is an "adult" doesn't mean they know about responsible pet care. Since the mother has the dog, why can't she take it to the vet?

Stephanie

I agree with all the comments about flea treatment.
Comfortis works good because it kills the fleas faster than the drops and keeps the population down.

I just talked to her and she said that he got up and was alert and happy to see her, but when he tried to walk, he was walking sideways.
She just talked to the vet and the vet wants her to bring him in.
She's concerned about the costs. Of course, we would loan her the money, but she is really on a tight budget as it is.
Her mom was in the background telling her that since he is better than last night to just wait it out.
I explained to her that he might have neurological problems for life, if she doesn't do something soon.
There's not much else I can do.
She's not my daughter and technically, she's not my DIL since they are no longer together. Our son, who's moved on to his new life, doesn't seemed concerned about helping with the dog.

If the budget is that tight, perhaps they should think about finding a new home for the dog. Not that there are a ton of people standing around looking to adopt an 11 yr old Maltese with allergy issues but seriously, don't keep a pet if you can't afford it.
He is reacting to the neurotoxins in the flea spray. That dog needs to be on IV fluids to help flush the poison from his system. Especially at his age.

I think I would have to tell her not to call me about the dog anymore. Her mom sounds like an idiot.

Quote:
AGREED!!! I won't call her mom an idiot because I'm trying to be nice.

Also, I offered to take this dog off her hands a year ago. He even stayed with us for 2 months before they got their last place. After the split up, DIL moved into an apartment and the poor dog ended up at her mother's house. We have 5 so called adult children and 3 DILs. We have to let them live their own lives and just be here for support and advice when they ask for it.

We had a terrible flea issue this summer. Got so bad that we have spent over $700 on a pest management company spraying as well as a good chunk of change to the vets office for Comfortis. It worked for my cats! Thats what has almost cleared it up. Its been MONTHS. Frustrating but between the Comfortis and Advantage II we seem to be almost in the clear. *sigh*

Just in case anybody has the problem with the Comfortis I do, don't feel alone. Morgan cannot take the Comfortis. I even bought the pill pockets to diguise the taste. Now pill pockets are out. He won't touch um. But the Comfortis made him vomit everything he had in his stomach. I tried about 3 months and every pill he would vomit it up. Now I use the the advantage multi, which is good for heartworms and fleas. Things have settled down and thing are good now. But very expensive. I didn't know how much a "free" dog found on the road could cost. For a free dog, I have about $1800 in him now. But that's in 4 years. And no, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:
"Free" dogs are always the best.

Just to update:
The dog is fine now and yes, DIL's mother has stopped bathing and spraying him. Also, DIL moves into new place this weekend and Scruggles will be back with her.

Quote:
X2
also dogs should NEVER be bathed on a daily basis ! it dries their skin out and makes them itch like crazy!And you should never use anything but GOOD QUALITY dog shampoo on dogs b/c their pH is different from ours.( i KNOW about these things having worked doing this for 17 years
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom