Small Duck breeds??(Non-rare please!)

SamanthaBrooke

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Jefferson, GA
My daughter is BEGGING me for a duckling but I have small bantam chickens and don't want a giant dominate duck around the yard, are there any small duck breeds that aren't terribly hard to find that I could get for my daughter?

Thank you!!!

There are also call ducks which are even smaller,(can fly) but good luck trying to find some of those!
roll.png

Last edited:
You can often find call ducklings locally. Clipping Mallard Wings is extremely easy and I've always done them myself. After the stress of the first time it's a breeze. Pinioning can be done at home but I'd do some research first. I know how to do it but I've never personally felt the need to pinion my birds.

Call duck have always been my favorite breed of ducks i have raised 8 different breeds of ducks and it is very easy to clip ducks wings I only cut the first 10 feathers starting with number 1 as the it is the end feather and go in 9 more feathers.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call ducks are usually very tame and have unique personalities... unlike mallards which is usually harder to tame down. Calls are usually very easy to find, many breeders have lesser quality( more for pet and breeding purposes) that are usually given away or sold at low prices... if interested in calls you can contact someone with www.callducks.org and someone there can get you in contact with someone close to you to find what you are looking for...

Tyler Messer
NCBA District 4 Director

Back
Top Bottom