Small egg confusion

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buchananpl, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Buchananpl

Buchananpl In the Brooder

May 30, 2010
    I am confused about the egg I found in the coop this morning. It is our very first egg but very small it is brown in colour but I am confused as to which chicken may have laid it. I have 2 Cochins around 18 months old, 2 White leghorns 5 months and 14 weeks and an ex-battery ISA brown. The ISA brown has been squatting a lot whenever I go near it so I was expecting her to lay but I thought small eggs only came from a chicken who was new to laying, the White leghorns only lay White eggs and the Cochins are showing no signs of being ready to lay. If it is the ISA brown why would her egg be so small??

2. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If she hasn't been laying for a while this may just be the first try at getting back into production. As a rule the older the hen the bigger, but fewer, the eggs but this can vary--there is rarely a "normal" when it comes to chickens.

3. karimw

karimw Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I have 5 standard Cochins that are 18 WEEKs old and have just started laying small brown eggs. Kind of sporadically, but I'm getting 1 or 2 a day. I wasn't expecting any until 24 - 25 weeks. The first couple were about 1.5 inches long, but they are gradually getting bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by