Small eggs from a small hen

Apr 7, 2023
Hello all! I'm fairly new still to being a chicken mama...I have an Easter Egger hen, Rebel, who started laying about a month ago at about 15 weeks. Her eggs are fairly small, and I know to begin with they usually are, my question is being she's the smallest of the flock, will her eggs always be small? She's been consistently laying about a week now. Picture of the eggs with a quarter for comparison. Though, quite possibly these may also be from other hens the same age? Thanks in advance for the input...

Attachments

• 20230817_105421.jpg
    20230817_105421.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 67
So, how big her eggs end up being is determined by her genetics and how her own body formed. The size of the hen doesn't necessarily determine egg size, though, if that is what you are wondering. Brahmas for instance are rather large, but lay fairly small eggs, but my whiting true blue is tiny, and lays ones that make me think it is a miracle she never became egg bound.

I have also had hens that will lay eggs that vary in size over the week, so they will lay a large one and then a smaller one. To sum up the most probable answer, they should get bigger overall, but you will see some variation.

So, how big her eggs end up being is determined by her genetics and how her own body formed. The size of the hen doesn't necessarily determine egg size, though, if that is what you are wondering. Brahmas for instance are rather large, but lay fairly small eggs, but my whiting true blue is tiny, and lays ones that make me think it is a miracle she never became egg bound.

I have also had hens that will lay eggs that vary in size over the week, so they will lay a large one and then a smaller one. To sum up the most probable answer, they should get bigger overall, but you will see some variation.
Ty! Yes.... she has had one that was bigger than the rest so far, and I've seen it my 2 older hens variations in size and color. Rebel's eggs though are like fairy eggs, though aso far all are whole very small whole eggs. I wss just curious as to whether they will remain that small. She is the smallest of my flock.

I guess we shall see! Lol

Attachments

• 20230817_122048.png
    20230817_122048.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 4
Yes, look a little deeper if you continue to see small eggs after she has laid for a while. That can mean something more.

I forgot to say that size can also vary depending on nutrition or if they are getting enough water, too.

Yes, look a little deeper if you continue to see small eggs after she has laid for a while. That can mean something more.

I forgot to say that size can also vary depending on nutrition or if they are getting enough water, too.
Yes, they have multiple wayerers and ice is added when it's too hot, and are on layer feed from a feed mill with Oyster shell provided at will. Thank you so much.

Might be just an early egger. My cousin had a game hen who was only 4 months- If I remember right- And SOMEHOW she got caught in a live trap. I guess when the trap door shut, it scared the mess out of her: There was this T I N Y egg in the trap, too. All of us were so confused, lol. It looked like a quail egg.

Might be just an early egger. My cousin had a game hen who was only 4 months- If I remember right- And SOMEHOW she got caught in a live trap. I guess when the trap door shut, it scared the mess out of her: There was this T I N Y egg in the trap, too. All of us were so confused, lol. It looked like a quail egg.
Game birds don't lay eggs? And hope she was ok. Ty for the input! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom