small eggs with no yolks?? common??

Belfunkian

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
I have recently found four small eggs on two separate occasions while the other three or four eggs were large. Inside of the egg was no yolk.The eggs were about 1/4 for the size it should have been. Is this common?

I wouldn't say that its "common", but it does happen. It happens especially frequently when the birds are either new to laying, or are old hens. It probably isn't anything to worry about-- just a fluke in the hen's reproductive tract.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined us!

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! People usually call them wind or fart eggs. X2 They are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system with young layers. In a older birds sometimes a bit of tissue fools the hens repo track into treating it like a yolk and add the albumen, membranes, a shell.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry for the C&P, I'm lazy to type
tongue.png

14. Fart egg aka fairy egg, witch egg, rooster egg or oops eggs. These tiny eggs may or may not have a yolk. Yolk-less fart eggs are often called rooster eggs. These little eggs are often much darker than normal, as they spend more time in the shell gland pouch and gets an extra layer or two of pigment. These yolk-less eggs sometimes form when:

- The hen's oviduct releases a small piece of reproductive tissue or another small foreign mass enters the hen's oviduct, triggering the regular formation of an egg. The foreign object will be treated like a normal yolk and enveloped in albumen, membranes and a shell;

- Occasionally a hen will also lay a fart egg when something disturbs her reproductive cycle;

- Young pullets may lay a fart egg or two when coming into lay and is still getting their reproductive systems in gear.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Back
Top Bottom