1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scootermom, Sep 20, 2010.

1. scootermom

scootermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    My three hens started laying eggs about three weeks ago, and give me an egg almost every day (each). I hate to complain, but they are on the small side. Do the eggs get bigger as they 'warm up" to laying? We've had some double yokers that are huge but mostly they are the size of a medium store egg or a little less.

2. buchette

buchette New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    As they hen ages her eggs should get bigger. Unless she is a small bird. I have hens just about the same size with very small eggs, and her older friends are laying what I would consider them to be Jumbo eggs. :eek:)

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It does take a little while for the eggs to get uniformly bigger. Gotta love those cute little baby eggs, though. [​IMG]

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My RIR started out that way. but you could see the eggs getting bigger by the day. My suggestion is to put them in the frig in order laid and compare a weeks worth of eggs. I'd bet you notice a difference too.

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Oh they will get bigger!! Some breeds end up having eggs that are much larger than others, some not so big. But give them time and you'll see. Don't know if you'll notice over a short period or not, but by two or three months you should see a noticable difference.

6. scootermom

scootermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Thanks for the good news - I need it on a Monday morning! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by