small eggs

scootermom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
My three hens started laying eggs about three weeks ago, and give me an egg almost every day (each). I hate to complain, but they are on the small side. Do the eggs get bigger as they 'warm up" to laying? We've had some double yokers that are huge but mostly they are the size of a medium store egg or a little less.

As they hen ages her eggs should get bigger. Unless she is a small bird. I have hens just about the same size with very small eggs, and her older friends are laying what I would consider them to be Jumbo eggs. :eek:)

It does take a little while for the eggs to get uniformly bigger. Gotta love those cute little baby eggs, though.
love.gif

My RIR started out that way. but you could see the eggs getting bigger by the day. My suggestion is to put them in the frig in order laid and compare a weeks worth of eggs. I'd bet you notice a difference too.

Oh they will get bigger!! Some breeds end up having eggs that are much larger than others, some not so big. But give them time and you'll see. Don't know if you'll notice over a short period or not, but by two or three months you should see a noticable difference.

Back
Top Bottom