1. glainerussell

glainerussell New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    I just recently got back into raising a backyard flock after not having one for quite a few years and I bought a dozen peeps and now they have just started laying eggs. I have 8 Rhode Island Reds, 2 CooCoo Marans and 2 Americuna's. My question is why are they laying such small egges? Do they start out small and get larger? I do not remember having this happen before. I am feeding Layena and Scratch. They shells are wonderfully hard but they are just a little bigger than Bantam eggs. They have a large area to roam in. I have a small farm.

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    yep, they will get bigger.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    They are really cute little eggs aren't they?! But, yes, they will get MUCH bigger! They're just practicing! I remember eating 4 and 5 at a time just to get the equivalent of 2 or3!!

4. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    My BR is laying eggs that weigh in consistently between 1.4 and 1.6 ounces (small to medium, I think) instead of the large eggs I "should" be getting. But, she's only been at it for a little over 6 weeks, so I still have hope, it is just fading fast, lol.

5. Kimmiejean

Kimmiejean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    My Australorps just started laying cute little teeny, tiny - itsy bitsy eggs [​IMG] last week. I'm saving them up for scrambled egg dinner....for one. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by