Small eggs

elight23

Chirping
13 Years
May 2, 2008
Bellevue, WA
This is my first time raising speceled Sussex, but all I'm getting are small eggs from a breed who is supposed to lay large. They've been laying a month and the eggs weigh in at 1.55oz Isn't this unusual for breed and any chance the eggs will get larger down the line? My other breeds maybe laid one small and went straight to large after that. Thoughts?

At least yours is laying LOL. .Mine is approximately 26 weeks and NOTHING. No pinking of the comb, no squatting etc...I'm beginning to wonder if she's ever going to lay
he.gif
As for the little eggs, I only know that they're supposed to get bigger over time. My husband actually prefers the little eggs because he can hard boil them and then they're bite sized. This is my first SS as well, so I have no idea what is "normal" or not for this breed Keep us posted though.

I am also raising my first speckled sussex and she started laying pretty big eggs right of the bat (all of my chickens did) But if she has only been laying for a month then my guess is that they will get bigger!!!! Good luck and keep us posted
smile.png

I have four one-year old Speckled Sussex. At first, I was dismayed by the tiny eggs, hoping they'd get larger as time passed. Nope, still small. The consolation is customers who prefer smalls for eating on English muffins. They're happy to buy 18 for the same price I charge for 12 large.

But I wouldn't trade these little girls in for anything. They are the most charming and friendly hens, each with a unique personality and very dependable layers.

Update, they stayed medium/small and, due to a small backyard, I upgraded to a different breed (that ate less and layed larger).

Eggs will change some over time, but it seems that what you start with will be similar if not exactly the same to what you end with.
The size doesnt change much, but the quality and frequency will get better.
My largest eggs come from the skinniest girl, go figure.

I have only had smallish eggs to start but after a month of laying like yours I would expect them to be big/regular
Is it all of them?

Back
Top Bottom