Small eggs?

LTrain

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Oahu, Hawaii
I got my first egg 2 days ago and was excited! My girls are about 23 wks old, I have 2 Delawares and 1 Blue Copper Maran. I had one more egg today and I'm so happy. This is the first time getting eggs from a chicken I raised, I had 2 RIR I bought as hens. The two eggs I have got so far are pretty small, is this normal? Should I be feeding them something else or more than layer pellets and fruits and veggies to get the eggs bigger? I thought Dellies were supposed to lay large eggs, I'm not sure how big the BCM eggs are yet because she hasn't started yet. My RIRs laid large eggs so I was just wondering. Thanks!

My chickens eggs started off small as well but they have slowly gotten bigger. I heard after their first molt they begin to be full sized eggs.

Your RIR were mature laying birds so you had the benefit of them already producing those nice large eggs - new layers generally start small and work up from there (though I have seen some impressive first eggs posted around here) and, yes, the second laying cycle, after the first molt, is generally when you will see the largest eggs from them on a consistent basis. It won't be too long and you'll see a definite increase in the size of your eggs.

After 2 months my pullets eggs have not gained significantly in size...except for the few double yolkers.

I weigh all my eggs and the pullet eggs have not gained after the first 3 or 4 eggs....I imagine, hope, that they will get larger after their first molt next year.

I now sell what I call 'A Pullets Dozen' (instead of lowering price) that weigh between the 24 oz and 27oz per dozen of large and extra large dozens respectively....made up of 6 of the older hens eggs and however many pullet eggs it takes to make weight, between 14-18 eggs total.

Back
Top Bottom