Small eggs

Kevo18

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Hi I am a new member and I want to ask this.i have 3chickens and most days one of my girls always lays a very small egg no yolk inside .they are about 1and a half years old and now are moulting is this normal:)

If they are molting then you are lucky to be getting eggs at all. So yes, the small yolks are normal. Make sure they have food, water, calcium and protein.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

As Mountain Peeps has said, if they are molting, normally they do stop laying since it takes all the protein they can get to grow feathers and none is left over for eggs. Once your birds are done molting, the eggs should return back to normal size.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Mountain Peeps and TwoCrows have answered your question nicely so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi I am a new member and I want to ask this.i have 3chickens and most days one of my girls always lays a very small egg no yolk inside .they are about 1and a half years old and now are moulting is this normal:)

Small eggs with no yolk, as your bird is laying, are often referred to as "fairy eggs" - as noted, molting does often have an impact on production and for your bird it would seem that her ovaries have stopped producing and releasing ova(yolk) but the rest of her reproductive system is continuing to function, thus creating the egg white and selling it, but without the bulk of a yolk to build around it results in the small eggs you are seeing.

Glad Old Gray Mare addressed your problem of NO yolks inside small eggs. Your girl does seem to have troubles with her egg machinery. Has she always been this way?

Back
Top Bottom