Small flock, bullied pullet. Novice owners. Help!

PattiLF

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2017
Hello! I have been searching this group for a thread that will help me (I didn't want to create a duplicate thread if one existed), but I'm not finding anything that is really specific to my chicken issue, so I am hoping you can help! Be prepared to read a novel. Might want to grab a snack or something. ;)

Backstory: In April 2017 we were hiking in the middle of a forest and a rooster found us. He was obviously dumped. We (my husband, daughter and I) are heavily involved in the cat/dog rescue community, but we know nothing about chickens. The rooster was friendly, and we were able to catch him and bring him home while we figured out what to do next. He was a beautiful black austrolorp that we named Elvis Von Waddles. ;) For weeks he hung out in our big dog crate in our garage while we built a coop. He would follow us around the yard like a puppy- he was confident and sweet. We decided we just wanted a small flock, since a lot of our time is already invested in the foster cats (and our own animals) inside the house. So the coop is built, nothing big, but good for 4-6 birds.

Then we got the girls. Two 1.5 year old sisters from a cousin who has a big flock that wanted birds that laid bigger eggs. Even though they were hand raised, they are skittish and nervous girls. I guess that is indicative of their breed (Fayoumi). They came from a flock with no rooster. Anyway, I introduced them by having them hang out in the dog crate that I put next to Elvis' coop/run, and I let him out to free roam. He was INSTANTLY in love. He would not leave the crate. He immediately went into Rooster mode and you could tell he was so happy to have some girls. A few hours went by, with me checking in on them often. The girls were scared of me and would clamor to the other side of the crate. Then it happened. My sweet, puppy dog rooster that had been SO awesome for weeks charged me out of the blue. I didn't really even know what had happened. I chalked it up as a fluke- maybe he was just really stressed? But then it happened again. I ended up letting them out to all be together later that day, and he was PERFECT... with them. He was super protective but gentle, he wouldnt eat while they where grazing. He would stand guard and talk sweetly to them. But when I came around, he would go into beast mode. I was heartbroken.

Fast forward a few weeks- we decided we couldn't deal with Elvis anymore. He had gotten to the point where he would charge me even in his run and I was standing outside. It was obvious this was not going to work. So we found a rescue that takes in chickens/roosters, and brought him there. They were having problems with predators and I knew he would be PERFECT for that. He takes his job so seriously and has no fear whatsoever- and he is HUGE so that helps lol. We ended up taking home a 'teenager' rooster from their 'rescue rooster' pen. He was also hand raised but originally thought to be a hen... and roosters that crow werent allowed in the city where he came from. We named him Link. Link is skittish of people and seems to be learning how to be a rooster (if that makes sense). Totally not like Elvis was. But he doesn't challenge us and just does his own thing, so we are fine with that. I finally am getting to my current situation. If you need to take a bathroom break at this point, feel free ;)

The same time we introduced Link to the 2 sisters (btw- named Fergilicious and Mildred Hubble), we introduced a 4-5 month old pullet Rhode Island Red name Zelda. The lady at the rescue suggested introducing the 2 together to the sisters when they went up to roost that night. So we did. And the sisters immediately took to Link... and the 3 immediately turned into the 3 musketeers, and likewise turned on sweet little pullet Zelda. For her safety, we now only let her with them when they are free ranging and at night to sleep. When neither of these events are happening, we keep her separate (but visible- in the dog crate next to the coop/run). My hopes were that eventually, they would include her at least a little. But its been forever (well over a month- almost 2), and they just don't. We have the 3. And we have Zelda. She is terrified of them. If they even walk near her she scurries frantically. To add to it all, Link loves lovin' on the ladies, and he tried once with her. Not cool Link. Not cool.

So here is what we have done so far, and what our thoughts are on what to do. We have increased their roaming time, much to the chagrin of our landscape beds. We have really tried to gently force interaction with the 4. We have recently built a big outdoor run attached to the coop/enclosed run (this is very new- like yesterday). This morning when I let them out into the new run, Zelda was again scared out of her mind and ended up hiding out on a perch in the coop, even though the others were just doing their thing in the run. I have a second food station set up in the new run, in addition to the food station set up in the coop/enclosed run.

We are thinking we might get one more pullet her age to give her a friend. My fear is that this will backfire, and then we will have 4 chickens ganging up on one.

Issues: 2 bully chickens, 1 bully rooster (he pecks at her in the coop when they go to roost). 1 sweet 6-mo old pullet who can't catch a break and is too scared to even try to coexist. Should I return the rooster? I would like to have one because we are in the country and have hawks, opossum, raccoon, etc. But if we don't need one....

Ok, so now that you are a year older and your kids have grown and married and have families of their own... my novel is done. And I am REALLY hoping to get some solid ideas. Because I am at a loss. Can you help this novice owner that was kind of thrust into the chicken life? PS- I do love it, even though right now it is so crazy with playing balancing act. I have attached a pic of the coop/enclosed run (with beautiful Elvis and the sisters). It doesnt show the new larger run that is now attached. Seriously, thank you for any help!!!
18835840_10158629010295391_4800942367636965212_n.jpg

Certain breeds require more room, some more than others..Pecking order is harsh in Chickens...She is at the Bottom...As long as no blood is shed?...Leave them to figure it out...putting human emotions on the Birds does not work...Chickens understand their place in the flock...You might think its mean but the Chickens understand where they rank....

Whilst other members have different views, I've never seen a cock bird protect the flock from hawks. In the absence of such, the alpha hen will often take on the role of sentry.

Space, multiple feeders and objects that create visual barriers in the run will all help.

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking since Zelda is the odd one out, maybe she should go for her own sake and not your roo... I assume she came from a rescue so do they have a rehoming policy?

Otherwise, it's very difficult to tell from your photo, but I'm thinking that coop isn't big enough for 4 birds and that's magnified the conflicts between your chickens, plus I see nowhere for a lower ranked bird to hide or get away inside that set up. You also mention "roaming time" but does that mean the chickens are confined most of the time? Specifics would help, such as the exact measurements of the coop (enclosed area minus nest boxes and any floor space taken up by feeders, etc) and run (open wire part) would be helpful as well as how much time they get outside of that run daily. Fayoumis as a breed don't like confinement.

My thoughts are kinda the same small coop for 4 birds and only one young one. I was told to introduce 3 or more at a time never less.

Your hens are mature your rooster and pullet are not.Your hens probably have more pull in your flock right now than your young fella does. Your pullet will grow bigger than your hens due to her breed so when she matures mentally she will be able to hold her own. Your young man is pecking her at night because teenage roosters are jerks and she's allowing it while your mature hens most certainly wouldn't. They will work it out, but like has been said chicken society is brutal and not for sissies.It does kind of look like your coop is a bit small as well and your girl to boy ratio is very likely going to cause problems for all of your ladies. I don't think personally I'd have a rooster with your existing setup.

Last edited:
Where to even start. Since each chicken is an individual with its own personality, behaviors cannot be guaranteed so I'll use some weasel words like most, sometimes, or can instead of saying that 100% of each and every time without a shadow of a doubt something will happen.

One way chickens have learned to live together in a flock is that when there is conflict, the weaker runs away from the stronger and does everything possible to avoid coming into contact with the stronger. They need room to run away and avoid.

Mature chickens outrank immature chickens and sometimes go out of their way to intimidate them or even hurt them, especially the hens. Hens are usually worse than roosters but roosters can do it too. You have an immature cockerel, not a mature rooster. That makes a difference. Most chickens are not that aggressive though unless their personal space is violated. They need room to avoid violating personal space.

If the weaker cannot run away the stronger often does not understand that it has won the conflict and keeps attacking, usually going for the head since that I where it can more easily kill the other chicken. If the weaker gets trapped in a corner or against a fence, it typically scrunches down and tries to protect its head. They need enough room to be able to run away. If they can run away usually there is no harm done.

Sometimes chickens will defend their territory from strangers, even if they are all mature. This doesn't happen all that often and at 6 months your pullet is still immature (which I think is your major problem), but housing them side by side across a fence for a week or more can help with this issue.

My pullets typically mature enough to force their way into the pecking order about the time they start laying, sometimes a few days before and sometimes a month after, but around that time. Until then they usually form a sub-flock and avoid the adults as much as possibly. They generally do not try to join the adults on the roosts but look for a safe place to sleep that is away from the adults.

When you integrate chickens of the same maturity level extra room is a huge benefit. When you integrate chickens of different maturity levels additional room can be a lifesaver. If you are going to be rescuing chickens I suggest you build some additional facilities to give you flexibility in how you manage them, an extra coop or two and extra runs.

Do not try to force the chickens to get along. Give them enough space and have enough patience to let them work it out.

Certain breeds require more room, some more than others..Pecking order is harsh in Chickens...She is at the Bottom...As long as no blood is shed?...Leave them to figure it out...putting human emotions on the Birds does not work...Chickens understand their place in the flock...You might think its mean but the Chickens understand where they rank....

No blood has been shed, but I am sure that is only because we are so vigilant on keeping them separate when we aren't with them.

Thank you everyone! So many ideas and suggestions- I really, really appreciate it. Some thoughts I have to some of the above posts (I would reply individually but it seems like that will just get the thread all messy.

-We really wanted a rooster for the warning call more than anything (and of course ground protection). I watched a hawk swoop down into a tree and grab a poor song-bird about 20 feet from where Elvis (1st rooster) and I were standing. It scared the crap out of me (and Elvis). I realize not much can be done if a hawk gets one, but I like to know that we at least did our best to protect them. I am not opposed to bringing Link back to the rescue, but I would like to keep him if I know that this madness is all temporary and eventually will get better. I can be patient.

- Zelda was purchased, not from a rescue. I am not looking to start a rescue chicken flock lol. Though I'm not opposed to it ;) Link came from the rescue we brought Elvis to- basically we swapped them out. Zelda is also the only chicken who is personable, and a favorite of ours because of this. I don't think rehoming her is in the cards- at least not right now.

- My biggest fear is winter. I think our coop is big enough for birds that get along. They seem content and happy in it. Right now we keep the best peace we can because we do not keep Zelda shut in with them except to roost at night. Like mentioned above, there is no good place to get away. We have been doing this for almost 2 months now. When we arent with them, we keep Zelda separate but visible to the flock. They could still give two craps about her except to bully her when they feel like it. However, by the time the weather gets cold, Zelda and Link should be fully mature. Do you think by then the bad behaviors might subside?

- Because of the predator issue, we were letting them out to roam after we got off work in the evening, so they would get about 2 hours of free roam time before roosting. Now that it's summer vacation, my daughter lets them out around lunch, and they are out for the rest of the day until dusk. When it is raining, they stay in the coop, with Zelda in the dog crate in the garage. I have lessened my fear grip of having to be out with them when they are out. The 3 now roam without me, and Zelda is lightly watched (because they don't include/watch her).

- I am hoping the large outdoor run will help. Should I add one more pullet Zelda's age? Or would that potentially backfire? I don't remember how big the enclosed run/coop is. I'll measure when I can later.

So- what I am taking from everyone's advice is this: I have 2 immature birds and need time for them to mature. The birds need space, especially until the 2 immature birds become mature.

Is there anything else that I should be- or should not be - doing? Things that I am doing that are not helping? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom