Small flock, bullied pullet. Novice owners. Help!

My biggest fear is winter. I think our coop is big enough for birds that get along.
Good concern to have.
I do not think your coop/run pictured above is big enough,
for even 3 bestest buddy birds in fair weather.

How wintry is your winter?
Adding your location to your profile can do much to garner better answers/suggestions.

Around here they can spend days on end in the coop during winter storms,
as my run is not snow/wind proof.

Welcome to BYC!
Your first post was wonderful.... witty, aware, and well written.

The general space recommendation for a back yard flock: 4 s.f. in the coop and 10 s.f. in the run per bird. More space than that, IMO if there is a cockerel/rooster involved, or if you are integrating, or have a multi age flock. When a chicken gives the stink eye to an underling, what she is really saying is: "get out of my space or I'm gonna rip your face off." If the underling can't retreat far enough away (perhaps 10', perhaps more) the aggressor takes that as a challenge, and pursues. Now, the underling is in a real pickle as she is trapped, and has no escape. Under such circumstances, it's possible for a gang mentality to take over, and the poor youngster can be killed by her aggressors.

As Aart says, winter weather can make the crowding situation even worse, as there is a flock of birds crammed into the coop with nothing to do except nit pick each other. That can make even good buddies in the flock world develop nasty habits that stay with them long after the snow is gone and the crocuses have bloomed.

Thanks guys! The coop is 4x8, (32 sf) on the bottom level run, & 4x4 (16sf) top part which houses 2ea - 4' roosts. This does not include 2 nesting boxes which stick out of the side. So that's a total of 48sf for 4 birds, equaling 12 sf of space per chicken. Not to mention the sister hens and rooster are not large breeds. I plan to enclose the coop/run for winter. I am in west Michigan. What's cool about the run for winter (haha pardon the pun) is that the nesting boxes are cut in to the side of our detached garage. So we are planning on blocking out part of the garage to allow them to roam a little. And the garage wood stove will hopefully help with heat. I would rather not have faces ripped off if at all possible. I prefer my animals to have faces. So when I sing to them I can see their boredom and displeasure.

The outside run we recently built measures 5 x 20. Also, We are on 2 country acres which they free roam as much as we can let them. I'm attaching a pic- please note this is mid-construction, hence the beauty of the lovely light brown tarp.
IMG_5630.JPG

Good concern to have.
I do not think your coop/run pictured above is big enough,
for even 3 bestest buddy birds in fair weather.

How wintry is your winter?
Adding your location to your profile can do much to garner better answers/suggestions.

Around here they can spend days on end in the coop during winter storms,
as my run is not snow/wind proof.

Welcome to BYC!
Your first post was wonderful.... witty, aware, and well written.
Thanks! :)

So when I sing to them I can see their boredom and displeasure.
:lau

I am in west Michigan.
Oh, baby...we get SNOW here!
How close to the lake are you?
Are you up near GR....or....?
Tending chickens in our winters can be a bear!
I find keeping access to the coop, run, and some clearish ground in the run for them to roam the biggest chore, most don't care for any snow deeper than about 1/2", but my coop and feed/supply storage is all under cover.

Some common terms, they can be confusing at first:
So your coop(where they roost/sleep) is 4x4,
and the run(where they lounge and 'play') is 4x8.
Extended run is 5x20.

The coop really is too small for 4 birds, especially over winter.

Are you going to put a solid roof on the extended run?
The extra space can help, and if you're handy you could turn the prefab coop/run into all coop...even rework it so the slant of coop/run roof is rotated 180 degrees.

I see a couple issues, the roof of the coop/run is slanted back towards the garage and
could gather a ton of snow and leak into coop or soak the ground in the small run. Those prefabs are not known for their water tightness. Maybe that roof is metal which would be better, but still, even with rain runoff you may already have a 'wet' issue. Can't see roof of garage, but I'd bet there's water coming off that too?

You say you're they'll have access to garage via nest boxes,
not sure you really want the nests to be an egress/travel path.
Have you considered building a coop in the garage?
Might not be good if you ever have running engines in there tho,
and the dust can be formidable!

Just some thoughts for a fellow Michiganian.

I am East of GR. And yes. The snow can get stupid!

The coop/enclosed run is not a prefab unit. We built it (used plans we found online) . We meaning my husband- who is not a builder and who did not want chickens. So essentially, it is what it is. I can't really ask him to do much more without risking my marriage lol j/k.

My plan for the winter is to enclose the entire coop/run to block out drafts and snow, so they have that. And I plan to shovel the outside run area to give them as much access to exercise as possible. My non-chicken loving husband (who also says he hates cats- yet we have 4 and have fostered over 60... with him wanting to keep nearly every one. Go figure) is the one who suggested blocking off part of the garage to let them roam inside sometimes. Vehicle fumes are a non issue. The garage houses my electric car and a bass boat. And junk of course. And soda cans. Dust is also a non-issue, as we live on a dirt road, therefore dust-acceptance is mandatory- accept and admit defeat or die of exhaustion while battling it. The garage roof is angled opposite direction of the coop/ garage extension roof, so the water run off does not go back towards the coop, and is a non issue.

I thought I read that 4sf/chicken is ok for coop/roost area?

Last edited:
BYC is the place to come to to shorten your chicken-keeping learning curve. I advise spending some time each day on all the forums just reading for the simple entertainment it affords, and you'll end up absorbing all kinds of useful information about chicken keeping and chicken behaviors.

Your posts indicate an interest in chickens and the willingness to learn, which is good. You have a lot to learn. The excellent advice you've gotten already will get you started.

It's already been pointed out you need more space. Go to the coop and run forum for some excellent ideas and an education on why coops and runs need the kind of space that we're talking about.

The replies so far haven't really addressed roosters. They can be mystifying in their Jekyll and Hyde behavior. It's not really complicated, though.

You have discovered how like roosters can be to puppy dogs, the friendliness and charm. Then you've experienced how they can turn on a dime when you bring hens into their lives.

Roosters that have started out relating to their humans on a peer basis as Elvis did, then will see those same humans as competition and a threat when hens enter the scene. The first lesson to learn about roosters is you can't have both a puppy-dog roo and a flock roo. you can have the first if you don't have hens, but if you have hens, you need to maintain a strict separation between you and the rooster.

There are a lot of great tutorials here you can read that will educate you on how to relate to and discipline your rooster. Please take advantage of them as problem roosters can be a constant headache at best and a safety threat at worst.

I want to point out that keeping a rooster does not insure that your flock will be safe from predators. Roosters are every bit as vulnerable as hens. However, many have sacrificed their lives to a predator so that the hens will be spared. That's all you should expect.

Replacing Elvis with a young cockerel has merely postponed the reckoning you will face when this new boy becomes mature. Cockerels require a good two years to learn their role in the flock and to become adept at keeping the peace among the hens. It's a beautiful thing to watch a good rooster break up a hen fight and know exactly which one has been the trouble-maker.

You need to discipline your cockerel starting immediately to know his proper relationship with his humans or you will face the same problems you experienced with Elvis. For me to tell you all the things you need to know in order to do this would require an even lengthier post. Go read those rooster tutorials.

Finally, you need to understand that chickens to not need "buddies". Trying to introduce ever more new individuals into your flock because you think a pullet needs a friend is misguided. New chickens coming into the flock upsets the social dynamics every single time. It's the last thing you want to do except to purposely increase your flock. Besides, as long as a chicken, no matter how persecuted it is by the flock, has other chickens in proximity, they are content.

One other thing, when you try to protect this picked-on bird by removing them from the flock it only makes it that much harder on them when you return them to the flock. The social order will eventually sort itself out, but all members of the flock need to be present in order for it to do so.

BYC is the place to come to to shorten your chicken-keeping learning curve. I advise spending some time each day on all the forums just reading for the simple entertainment it affords, and you'll end up absorbing all kinds of useful information about chicken keeping and chicken behaviors. ** I have been doing this for a while. This threads on this site have helped me with other questions tremendously. I just couldn't find an answer that was applicable to my situation with this, well, situation. :) **

Your posts indicate an interest in chickens and the willingness to learn, which is good. You have a lot to learn. The excellent advice you've gotten already will get you started.

It's already been pointed out you need more space. Go to the coop and run forum for some excellent ideas and an education on why coops and runs need the kind of space that we're talking about. ** will do **

The replies so far haven't really addressed roosters. They can be mystifying in their Jekyll and Hyde behavior. It's not really complicated, though.

You have discovered how like roosters can be to puppy dogs, the friendliness and charm. Then you've experienced how they can turn on a dime when you bring hens into their lives. **True that**

Roosters that have started out relating to their humans on a peer basis as Elvis did, then will see those same humans as competition and a threat when hens enter the scene. The first lesson to learn about roosters is you can't have both a puppy-dog roo and a flock roo. you can have the first if you don't have hens, but if you have hens, you need to maintain a strict separation between you and the rooster. ** We know this. We aren't looking for a puppy dog rooster. Just one that will hang with his girls and not feel threatened by us like Elvis was. So far so good with Link. **

There are a lot of great tutorials here you can read that will educate you on how to relate to and discipline your rooster. Please take advantage of them as problem roosters can be a constant headache at best and a safety threat at worst.

I want to point out that keeping a rooster does not insure that your flock will be safe from predators. Roosters are every bit as vulnerable as hens. However, many have sacrificed their lives to a predator so that the hens will be spared. That's all you should expect. ** That is all we expect. We are in a high predator area both from land and air. I want to give our girls the best chance at a long life. **

Replacing Elvis with a young cockerel has merely postponed the reckoning you will face when this new boy becomes mature. Cockerels require a good two years to learn their role in the flock and to become adept at keeping the peace among the hens. It's a beautiful thing to watch a good rooster break up a hen fight and know exactly which one has been the trouble-maker. ** Isn't he considered mature (ish) when he is actively mating with the girls? And though he picks on zelda at times in the coop, he will still 'yell' when a bully pecks at zelda when they are free-roaming **

You need to discipline your cockerel starting immediately to know his proper relationship with his humans or you will face the same problems you experienced with Elvis. For me to tell you all the things you need to know in order to do this would require an even lengthier post. Go read those rooster tutorials. ** We do. He respects us. The woman at the rescue showed us how to grab him and hold him by his feet upside down and to football hold him belly up to show dominance. We do this from time to time to keep on top of that **

Finally, you need to understand that chickens to not need "buddies". Trying to introduce ever more new individuals into your flock because you think a pullet needs a friend is misguided. New chickens coming into the flock upsets the social dynamics every single time. It's the last thing you want to do except to purposely increase your flock. Besides, as long as a chicken, no matter how persecuted it is by the flock, has other chickens in proximity, they are content. ** This answers my question on adding another hen perfectly. Thank you! **

One other thing, when you try to protect this picked-on bird by removing them from the flock it only makes it that much harder on them when you return them to the flock. The social order will eventually sort itself out, but all members of the flock need to be present in order for it to do so.** She is only removed when we are not there, and is in a wire cage next to their coop/run (unless it is raining, then we have her in the garage. She free roams with them and roosts with them otherwise. Now that we have the extended outdoor run, we are working on keeping them all together as much as possible, since she has room to get away. **

My responses are in the **....**. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! :)

Back
Top Bottom