Small flock has avian pox, one bird has bubbly runny eyes

mrswolf02

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Lake Placid, Florida
I noticed my girls got avian pox about 2 weeks ago in one bird, the other 5 ended up getting it. They are all doing well and startin to clear up however Nemo,one of my Golden Comets, has scabs on her bottom eye lids and saw today she had runny and bubbly eyes. She's been keeping to herself really and not interacting with the other 5 birds much. She sat in my arms for a good fifteen minutes before she realized someone found a grub and went to go steal it.

What can I do for her? is there any medication i should give Nemo? I dont want her uncomfortable or in pain, I want to make sure I can do the best thing for her.

I know there isnt much to do for the pox but Im not sure if she has a secondary infection or not :/

She sounds like she is getting a respiratory infection which could happen because her immunity is down from the fowl pox right now. It also could be just a bacterial infection secondary to the pox like you say. I would get some Tylan 50 and give her 1/2 to 3/4 ml either as a shot into the breast muscle or by mouth for 3-5 days (you can use it both ways.) There are other antibiotics, too.

It sounds like the scabs on the lower eyelid are irritating the eye causing the runny and bubbly eyes. You can use a felt tip pen or magic marker and run it on the scabs. It will help them dry quicker. Dont pull the scabs off, they are very infective.

thank you both! ive read about the tylan 50, can i shoot the liquid/injectable solution right in her mouth? I saw a few videos and my fellow vet assistant friend( ive never had to care for birds like this in school or in a clinic but she has) said the same about injection, behind base of neck sub-q....would that be as sufficient as going IM thru the breast muscle? that makes me very nervous since I dont want to have an oops and stab the wrong thing or risk puncturing her crop ( my girls are little piggies and usually have a happy crop, not too full but def noticable)

should i also give the other girls some as well? i thought about the powder medication and read on another board here abotu 1 tsp/gallon of the tylan 50 powder ( i have a gallon waterer for them i currently use) but not sure if that would be as effective/quick enough? they usually go through half of the waterer a day if they dont get much outside time

would iodine or betadine or even polysporin ointment be safe to use around her eyes?

*If* you decide to medicate, I would only medicate the birds that look sick. For me, bubbles in the eye do not warrant the use of antibiotics.

-Kathy

thank you kathy. i went out shortly after my first reply this morning when the sun was up good and Nemo looks soooo much better. her eyes arent puffy nor watery and bubby like yesterday. she had some spunk back when i climbed in coop to give them breakfast

Im just a worried momma, this is my first flock and first real "issue" and im super upset my babies are ill!! id rather avoid antibiotics if i can but i dont want anyone super sick and miserable either. i should get some tylan anyway to have on hand

Back
Top Bottom