Small maggot like worm in waterer?

Ohchickfarming

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
Clayton Ohio
Hello all in chicken land! I have a secondary smaller flock which keep separate from my layers, they are a few months from laying. The past few mornings I go out to refill chickens water and found small white maggot like worms in the water. The chickens will not drink the water with the worms present. I have read that it could just be larvae however, it is Christmas eve here in Ohioand snowing. With that being said I'm confused. There are trees above the coop and run but no signs of life in the tree where the could be falling from.

Attachments

• 20201224_093906.jpg
    20201224_093906.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 66
Could the chickens picking their rear end or a wound or digging in compost and dropping them in the water somehow? Inspect them for fly strike. I wouldn't think any flys would be buzzing around as cold as it is. Clean the water bowl and surrounding area.

The past few mornings I go out to refill chickens water and found small white maggot like worms in the water.
I can't really see what you're talking about. Pull a few out and put on something to view.
It looks like your waterer is sitting on the ground?
Could be maggots are crawling into the water?
Wonders what's under the waterer, guessing wet bedding perfect for insect larvae to live.
Hang it or put it up on a block to keep it cleaner.

I can't really see what you're talking about. Pull a few out and put on something to view.
It looks like your waterer is sitting on the ground?
Could be maggots are crawling into the water?
Wonders what's under the waterer, guessing wet bedding perfect for insect larvae to live.
Hang it or put it up on a block to keep it cleaner.
1608907593126.png

Kinda gross. I'm surprised the birds aren't eating them.
I agree that they are likely coming up from under the waterer and it should be put up on a block.

I agree that a picture of just the worms on something dark would help us see them better.
They sort of look like the mealworm stage before the stage where they are the large mealworms that we purchase to feed to the chickens.

If you put your waterer up on blocks to the height of the chickens' backs they won't be kicking grunge into the water and will spill less too -- creating a less favorable environment for breeding insects.

You might consider training them to use a nipple waterer to help keep the water clean.

Back
Top Bottom