1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

small movable run for garden

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flagirl, Jan 31, 2012.

1. flagirl

flagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    lake placid, florida
    living in florida, i have something in my veggie garden all year. was hoping for ideas on what to use to cordon off small rows and put a few hens in empty areas to dig in area while out during the day. i have 12 hens, but would only use 2 or 3 in each area-problem? would they freak if not with group. i let all of them out every day for a few hrs and they pretty much stick together. i was thinking stakes with netting or a pvc small hoop? anyone doing this?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes it does stress them out. I have tried this.

Additionally they need full time access to the nest boxes. If you can use temporary fencing that leads to their coop that is the best solution I have found. Just my experience.

3. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    just google chicken tractor.........I cant imagine it being that stressful if you move a few together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by