Small oak tree

LLL

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
CT
Hi, we just cut down a very small oak tree and put it in the chicken run so chickens could climb on it. Some are pecking at and possibly eating the leaves. Is this toxic to them? I've heard differing opinions. I'm going out to take it out just in case but would appreciate some feedback. Thanks very much!

Hi, we just cut down a very small oak tree and put it in the chicken run so chickens could climb on it. Some are pecking at and possibly eating the leaves. Is this toxic to them? I've heard differing opinions. I'm going out to take it out just in case but would appreciate some feedback. Thanks very much!

My chickens have eaten a few oak and maple leaves, and even some pine needles without any issue. It's certainly not their favorite, but they do pick away at it a bit.

Thank you. They are not going crazy for it but may have ingested some. We also put an apple tree branch in there but they don't seem too interested.

Leaves of the oak trees are not toxic to chickens. Many farmers use them for bedding and compost flooring. Acorns are poison, but they are so bitter, it's doubtful it a chicken would be interested. Also they are too big to swallow.

Along this line, I have an oak tree which is infested with Oak Leaf, or Oak Gall Mites every year. They rain from the tree by the thousands for a couple of weeks in the summer. Just noticed my chickens eating them up happily today. I don't believe this kind of mite hosts in/on animals - only trees, but if someone knows differently, will you please share your knowledge?

Acorns CAN be made edible by soaking to remove the tannins. Not sure that’s worth doing to feed to chickens (or make your own acorn flour), but can be done.

That being said, I’ve been raising chickens in a yard full of oaks for years and never seen a chicken even attempt to eat an acorn.

I put it in the same category as avocado pits (yes, they may be “poisonous” but a chicken would never eat them).

Back
Top Bottom