Small Opening for Nesting Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hydestone, Oct 15, 2010.

1. hydestone

hydestone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi BYC,

I was reviewing some nesting box designs and stumbled upon an agricultural extension website that claimed egg production increased when the opening to the nesting box was reduced to 6" x 9". Most of the pictures I see on the internet show a wide open box. Does anyone have experience with a small opening like they suggest?

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Chickens prefer a little privacy and will choose a smaller nest opening over a larger more exposed one. A smaller opening would be better as long as the interior of the nest is regular size and it don't interfere with egg collection.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Very interesting . . . is it 6" wide by 9" tall, or the other way round?

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have noticed that my little Banty Cochins lay more inside the nesting boxes that I made for my Muscovies than in their own boxes. The duck's boxes are rectangular & fully enclosed except for a circle cut in the front, to one side, for access.

On the other hand they also seem to like layign in a long, open-top box the ducks use too. but it is VERY 'nesty' in there so maybe that's why?

5. hydestone

hydestone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Just checked them...9" wide x 6" high.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine seem to really like laying in a box that I have built inside a XL dog house. It's about 14" square, but sideways inside the doghouse, so it's "private" (not open towards the doorway)
    Otherwise they use a small plastic doghouse (almost 2ft long, only about a foot wide), that is plenty big enough (about 4 hens can fit in there....) but it's "deep" if you know what I mean, so they lay their eggs way in the back. I put crushed up corn cob type kitty litter in it for padding, and a golf ball, and they caught on.
    I tried giving them a plastic tote with a smaller doorway cut into the side, and they wouldn't use it [​IMG] maybe the hole was too small, but they squeeze into other tight spaces.....who knows what they were thinking. It's out there cluttering up my yard now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by