Small order with low shipping

Mypetchicken.com does small orders, usually with small orders your shipping is a bit higher. I don't think you'll find a hatchery that has super cheap shipping.

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't go with one that offers low shipping because that is a hatchery that is not packaging the birds to arrive safely. The reason they have to charge so much for shipping is to ensure safe arrival. Shipping is extremely stressful for chicks but all the more so for the small orders, where there aren't enough chicks to generate enough heat to stay warm. The hatchery makes up for that by adding heat packs.

If you are wanting to save money on shipping, your best bet is to place a large order - that way there are enough chicks in the box that they are able to stay warm enough to survive shipping. If you only need a few yourself, perhaps you can split an order with someone else. Alternately, you might look in your local area. You may find someone who has the breeds you want and you will be able to pick them up instead of having them shipped, which is even easier on them.

Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio does small batches as little as 3-4 chicks, but they have to insert a heat pack and extra bedding for warm, so it will run a bit higher. However, if you live close to one of these hatcheries you can pick them up and save shipping. My Pet Chicken gets many of their chicks from Meyer by the way.

Tractor Supply Co. just finished up chick days, but other farm stores may still have chicks. Usually there is a minimum number such as 6 that you can buy. My TSC got different breeds in several days a week, so if you are looking for a certain type or banties just keep going back.

where are you located? Thre might be an atwoods farm and home near you. if so the do not have a 6 chick mininum and you can pick up some there. if in east texas I have some babies for sale and I am NPIP certified.

I'm in NC and MPC only will ship 7 to that zip. I've given up on trying to find some online. Guess I will just have to wait until I can find some locally.

You could check on CL or Kijiji for egg sellers and contact them to see if they would sell you chicks. That's how I found my pullets. Not only did I find someone closeby that I could choose my birds from, but I also found a mentor.

Back
Top Bottom