Small pustules on chicken's face (photo)

bridghen

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Central Texas
It's been a rough week for our girls; a stray goat got in their run the other day, and I just noticed some small pustules on the face of one of my Houdans. She is absolutely filthy , so I'm not sure if it's a hygiene issues or a disease. She's had fowlpox in the past but this doesn't look like that. The bumps my husband touched came off easily, but he said her eyes and around her beak seemed a little crusty. Can anyone help me ID and let me know if this is something I need to treat her/the flock for? I don't see any of these bumps on any of the 10 other hens.

ccface.JPG

Poor girl. They kind of look like tomato seeds, but her skin doesn't look very comfortable. I'm not sure what could be done about that. Maybe some coconut oil.

I thought they were tomato seeds at first too, until I realized I hadn't given them tomatoes in a while. I'm actually pretty sure they are fire ant bites :( I found fire ants swarming a watermelon rind in their run. They're the absolute worst. I'm seeing if there's any topical treatment I can put on the bites to reduce any pain/itching, but she seems to be in decent spirits, considering.

Back
Top Bottom