Small rouen duck breed good broodies?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
I have a one year old small type Rouen hen that seems to want to incubate eggs. She's been sitting on a clutch of them all day and doesn't want to leave them. I think she's been at it for a few days now. I've heard mixed reviews about them being good and bad broodies. What have your experiences been with this??

I have a one year old small type Rouen hen that seems to want to incubate eggs. She's been sitting on a clutch of them all day and doesn't want to leave them. I think she's been at it for a few days now. I've heard mixed reviews about them being good and bad broodies. What have your experiences been with this??
I have rouen and mallards, and recently my rouens have been sitting on eggs a ton as well. I don’t know if she’s broody or not, but she is on them almost all the time, but gets up if she sees me. I’d say give it a couple weeks, and if you have a drake and they’re fertilized, she might hatch some ducklings! If they aren’t fertilized I suggest you discourage her from sitting on them all the time by taking the eggs. Or you can try candling them if you want to see if there’s life in them.

I have rouen and mallards, and recently my rouens have been sitting on eggs a ton as well. I don’t know if she’s broody or not, but she is on them almost all the time, but gets up if she sees me. I’d say give it a couple weeks, and if you have a drake and they’re fertilized, she might hatch some ducklings! If they aren’t fertilized I suggest you discourage her from sitting on them all the time by taking the eggs. Or you can try candling them if you want to see if there’s life in them.
I already know their fertile and have life.

That's what we've been doing. I just wanted to make sure that she would be a good mom.

Ah, apologies, that wasn’t clear to me. If they’re laying on eggs, then they want babies, so of course they’d be good mothers. But yes if they’re broody then they’ll be good mothers.
That's what we've been doing. I just wanted to make sure that she would be a good mom

I
Ah, apologies, that wasn’t clear to me. If they’re laying on eggs, then they want babies, so of course they’d be good mothers. But yes if they’re broody then they’ll be good mothers.
I've heard that domestic ducks will sit but have times where they just abandon the babies the hatch.

I
I've heard that domestic ducks will sit but have times where they just abandon the babies the hatch.
Yeah I think it depends more on the individual duck than the breed. I've had one small Rouen who was an extremely good mom and was still sticking up for her babies and protecting them from me when they were already full grown and bigger than her. It's actually the best momma duck I've ever had, every other one seems to lose intrest at some point. Then I have another that's the same breed who sat until they hatched and then just kept on sitting and never showed them what to eat or drink, never lead them around or did anything with them. She had no eggs left but just sat there like she was still incubating. I had to take them all after a few days once I realized they were getting weak and she wasn't doing anything for them. Then after they were taken for a few days she just went back to normal like nothing ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom