Small serama hen having BAD SEIZURES? (VIDEO)

She has only been broody for 2 days. I have been taking her off the nest to eat/drink/ and poo 2-3 times a day which I do with all my broody hens to make sure they are eating and drinking enough.

How is she now? You seem like you are a good and capable nurse..... any change? Remember animals can live just fine with seizures, they look worse than they "feel " to the affected animal. Often vets don't even medicate for them untill they get so bad they compromise quality of day to day life...

She is the same but no longer broody. I left her out with her buddies so she didn't get lonely instead of taking her inside by herself. I have a really tiny serama hen who has a neurological disorder (always been super shaky) and has seizures as well so this wasn't a first for me. I was just afraid if they got worse she may pass. I also wanted to be sure if I hatched some of her eggs the chicks wouldn't suffer from the same problem. This hen hasn't always been like this just recently. I have been giving her extra vitamins and electrolytes in her water instead of the polivisol, this seemed to help a bit as her seizures haven't been as intense as they were. I guess I worry far too much about her. I managed to break her of being broody just by taking her eggs away and I think that helped her as well. Thanks for your insight suburbanminifarm. I wouldn't take her to the vet if it got worse I'd just have to cull her if need be and thats only if her quality of life was really poor but for now she seems to be thriving despite her disorder.

She is having myoclonus seizures, caused by stress. It is localized to her head and neck with the jerks and twitches at this time, but she is sitting still. Have you witnessed her having an episode while standing or walking? She'll likely roll over backwards and either continue to roll or go to her side, thrashing. I would not breed her, or stress her in any undue way. This may pass in time, it may increase involving more of her body functions. It's really hard to tell what causes seizures other than it is some kind of disturbance in brain activity. I would wait out breeding her for several months to see if she passes out of this stage and becomes seizure free. Sorry for you to experience this. She should be able to lead a relatively normal life if you keep her quiet, happy and free from stressors. Brooding chicks if she is still in the same condition as she is now would be a disaster to her and her system, as the mother hens are always on alert.

Thank you for your responce high roost ranch. Yes I have witnessed her having one while standing up, it is far more intense and yes she did exactly what you stated by rolling over to her side, her legs and whole body were twitching and she had no coordination. This all started when I moved her from indoors to out in a coop in the garage with her 2 coop mates whom she has always gotten along with. None of my other birds have access to these ones and I supply a 125 watt clear light for heat switching to infared overnight. I keep a heavy wool blanket over the front of their coop to keep the heat in a little better (no door and just a slapped together tall, large box with a half wall in front). I have a smaller brooder open and available so I guess I will try moving her and her 2 buddies back in the house and see if the condition improves. If it turns out she isn't fit for breeding no big deal altho it would have been nice, her health and well being is far more important to me. Thanks everyone who chimed in to help me, I really appreciate it!
big_smile.png

I am not sure if this is helpful but have you ever heard about a high fat diet that they give to children who had seizures? There was a movie called Do No Harm. I have no idea if it would help but it wouldnt hurt, I don't think.
Good luck

I don't think a high fat diet on a small bird would be such a great idea. The vitamins and chick starter on top of bringing her and her flock mates back in the house didn't do any good. She still has them but mostly just the ones that make her head shake, she has had one full body seizure since I brought her back in the house and actually fell off the roost during this. I find if I talk to her in a very calm voice it helps her get thru it. Guess she is gonna have them for the rest of her life but it's ok, she will be well taken care of reguardless
big_smile.png
I just wish I could have figured out why she started having them and why.

Back
Top Bottom