Small SF chick does not seem to be growing

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
Recently I posted on the Emergency forum that one of my Salmon Faverolles chicks appeared to be gasping for air. I had expected her to die, but she now seems to be thriving after some quick TLC. She was smaller than her five hatch siblings, but how she is almost about half the size of the others. She is active, eating well, hoping around just like all the rest, but does not seem to be growing.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8018.JPG
    IMG_8018.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8016.JPG
    IMG_8016.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 19
I have an easter egger chick that is like this but it has never had a health issue just insanely dwarf like. I took it because it was the last of its breed left and didn't want it to be alone. It has quickly become my favorite chick, I wish I knew more but am following this for some answers myself. Mine is almost dwarf like compared to my others i got at the same time

Yes, she is a nice little chick. I have the chicks for sale, but I think I will keep her. So sweet.

She was smaller than her five hatch siblings
That's where it starts and becomes exponential.. why folks in the know prefer NOT to hatch pullet eggs.. folks who raise broilers or heritage meat birds know this well also.. she will never catch up in size. There may also be some gentic variation at play.. my siblings and I are not all the same height & weight even from the same parents.

As long as her behavior is normal and acceptable with no signs of lethargy (as described).. then no cause for concern!

If you see lethargy or going off feed start to set in.. then seek immediate help again.. checking for pasty butt as first thing to rule out.

What percent protein is your starter feed? assuming that you're using one. Are you giving any supplements? What's their age today?

That's where it starts and becomes exponential.. why folks in the know prefer NOT to hatch pullet eggs.. folks who raise broilers or heritage meat birds know this well also.. she will never catch up in size. There may also be some gentic variation at play.. my siblings and I are not all the same height & weight even from the same parents.

As long as her behavior is normal and acceptable with no signs of lethargy (as described).. then no cause for concern!

If you see lethargy or going off feed start to set in.. then seek immediate help again.. checking for pasty butt as first thing to rule out.

What percent protein is your starter feed? assuming that you're using one. Are you giving any supplements? What's their age today?
All my chicken chicks are raised on Purina Chick Starter Grower, unmedicated. They all get a hard boiled egg yolk after they are feeding and drinking. These are about two weeks old, they hatched March 7 & 8th.

This batch did have a higher than normal (for me) pasty butt. I have not seen any for the past week though. Otherwise, they all seem to be healthy and happy. I would like to get them outside for a bit, but it has been too cold and windy to let them have a bit of fresh air.

She gets right in with the other chicks eating and drinking. It did take her a couple of days to get back to "normal" after her gasping episode. (My husband actually gave her mouth to beak care to see if there was something lodged in her throat. He took the needle out of one of his syringes, filled it with water and dripped some into her beak.) Even at her worst, she was pretty active.

All my chicken chicks are raised on Purina Chick Starter Grower, unmedicated
Purina Flock raiser would be a better choice.. higher protein and amino acids.. equals better growth... especially for these larger dual purpose breeds.

ALL chick starter used to be 22% protein when I first started keeping chickens a little more than a decade ago.. recent years past.. they've all been reduced.. to what is essentially a bare minimum.. more profit for the feed makers.

Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Muscle is made by protein..

I know plenty of folks raise their chicks on that and never notice the difference.. but as an avid and passionate breeder/hatcher I've been appaled since I first saw 18% protein chick starter.. I don't wanna go off on any tangent though.. I will note energy comes from 3 sources.. carbohydrates including fiber, fat, and protein. When protein goes down carbs goes up. 22% protein was shown in studies to give the best hatch rates. I experimented all the way up to 30% protein for the breeding flock and rearing chicks.. That high reduced hatch rate, so carbs are STILL an important energy source. Excsess potein is excreted as extra (nitogen) smelly and expensive waste.

Just some food for thought.

Your babies are beautiful! :love

Purina Flock raiser would be a better choice.. higher protein and amino acids.. equals better growth... especially for these larger dual purpose breeds.

ALL chick starter used to be 22% protein when I first started keeping chickens a little more than a decade ago.. recent years past.. they've all been reduced.. to what is essentially a bare minimum.. more profit for the feed makers.

Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Muscle is made by protein..

I know plenty of folks raise their chicks on that and never notice the difference.. but as an avid and passionate breeder/hatcher I've been appaled since I first saw 18% protein chick starter.. I don't wanna go off on any tangent though.. I will note energy comes from 3 sources.. carbohydrates including fiber, fat, and protein. When protein goes down carbs goes up. 22% protein was shown in studies to give the best hatch rates. I experimented all the way up to 30% protein for the breeding flock and rearing chicks.. That high reduced hatch rate, so carbs are STILL an important energy source. Excsess potein is excreted as extra (nitogen) smelly and expensive waste.

Just some food for thought.

Your babies are beautiful! :love
Thank you for the Feegreat information! I will look into this more. I would love to feed them the flock raiser as it is one of the more expensive feeds I purchase and it is for the roosters that we will eventually process (not looking forward to that).

Thank you for the compliment. I love my chicks even though most of them are sold. I live in a rural area and heritage breeds are hard to come by. I did not think I would like the SF that much, but I adore them now. The roosters are a nice surprise, very calm and non aggressive to humans. Towards the geese is a different matter!

I sold my laying hens that I had for about two years because I could not keep the SF separate from the non SF roosters, so I could not be sure if the chicks were true SF. One fellow said that my girls were the nicest looking hens he had every bought, so healthy.

Thanks again for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom