small sore on chicks neck

slickchick

Songster
13 Years
Jul 2, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
I noticed a small sore on one of my week old chicks. It looks like it is from pecking, but can't be sure. I just moved them to a larger brooder this morning, because they were outgrowing the old one. I'm thinking that this little one got pecked by one of the others. I have 20 week olds...Should I do something at this point, or just keep and eye on it? It is a little bloody, but nothing major. I even caught one of the others pecking at it in the new brooder. Do I need to separate him? Put anything on it? I never had this happen before and don't want it to get infected. Thank you for any advice.

You have to seperate the one that is injured. The least sign of blood or a sore and the others will pick it to death.

Use some antiboitic ointment, the same as for people, and just cover the spot. If you have some blue cote or something similar that will help. You just have to make sure you get the spot clean and hidden. I even used food dye once on a chick that got pecked. I died the area brown just like the chick. They left her alone.

Adding something to the brooder for them to peck will keep it from happening again. A couple lettece leaves hung from the top/side worked for me.

Matt

I may have misunderstood your post, but do you have 20-week olds in with week olds? If so, this is far too large of an age difference, and could be the reason for the pecking.

Also, just a sidebar on the antibiotic ointment - make sure to NOT use the kind with pain killer in it. I just use generic triple antibiotic ointment from my local pharmacy. Do you have a red light on them? If you have a white light, this will show the blood more and attract more pecking to it - once a bird bleeds, the others will peck it to death. If it's not too bad, you can put some ointment on it and leave it in with the rest, but WATCH CLOSELY for further pecking. If there is any, you do need to separate. And if you've got a white heat lamp, switch it out for a red.

Back
Top Bottom