Small stores on baby duck! How should I treat?

Lochloosachicks

Songster
Jul 2, 2017
I'm new to ducks and I'd never seen anything like this on my chicks. I'm attaching a pic of these small sores we have seen on it. It looked as though the setting may have been bleeding. There are 5 of them all almost 2 weeks old. I haven't noticed anyone picking on anyone else.
Behavior seems fine.

Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 10
What does noodling mean? Should I just raise the lamp? Does the same temp and general rules apply to ducklings as chicks with the heat lamps or do they not need as much heat? Thanks!

What is the temp in your brooder @Lochloosachicks
I don't know exactly, but I'm sure it was too hot. We have 5 in about a 3ft×2ft space. They are going to be moved to another space that is currently being occupied by some "teenage" chickens, which will be relocated to the "big coop" next weekend.
We have been letting them play supervised in bath water.
Questions...
Will they need a heat lamp when I move them outside next week?. I'm in Texas, the weather is nice at the moment.
Do they need constant access to water or is that something I can let them have when I am there to watch. It makes me nervous unsupervised.
I have a pond that I am sure they will make there way to when they are older.
With my chicks I do not usually let them free until they are old enough not to interest my barn cats, at about 8-10 weeks. I was planning the same, but suggestions are welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom