Small Summer Chicken Tractor

SleepyOwl

Songster
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
MN
I made this myself, which is pretty good, considering I have no building skills.
smile.png

It is 8'x4' and 2' tall. The coop part is 4x2. Way to small for 6-8 adult chickens I know, but perfect for growing chicks! :)

This is not something I would keep them in during a MN winter, but I was able to get a small shed for $80 that we will be converting into a coop over the summer.

I used coated, small hole chicken wire. I suppose a very determined dog could tear it, but I do have a privacy fence around my whole yard, and very rarely even see strange dogs in the neighborhood. (I have never seen a racoon here in 6 years that we have lived here.)

The roof is corrugated plastic. It is thicker than the cheaper stuff that I had considered first, but went with this because it seemed a lot stronger, and was only a couple bucks more.

I haven't added it up, but over all I think I spent just over $100 on materials (almost all new.)

Here it is, almost finished. I want to add wheels and maybe a handle, for ease of moving.

It has three doors on top, and one from the coop to the run, and one from the coop to outside. I had only planned on having one door opening on half the coop part, but realized I couldn't really reach to the back corner. If I had been thinking, I would have just made it all one door on top the coop, instead of two. Oh well, it was a learning process.

Looking into the coop from the run..

Roost

The chicks enjoying being outside (and their sand box.)

What I would do differently:

Make the door over the coop part all one.

Make the door to the outside just a bit smaller. I fit it perfectly, and it doesn't always close easily, and I have to adjust the whole coop to get it to shut.

Instead of putting the chicken wire right on the bottom of the coop, I would have raised the wire off the ground a bit. I take my chicks in the house at night, so have only moved it when they aren't in it, but I am wondering how I am going to move it when I keep them in it. I don't want a toe getting crushed in there when I move it.

Last edited:
HOW DID YOU GET THEM ALL TO GET ALONG?. MY REDS DO NOT GET ALONG WITH THE BLACK(SMALLER) SEX LINK. WE GOT THEM AT THE SAME TIME.

They switched over to a regular coop in the fall. I am going to use this tractor for hens with chicks soon.

My chickens get along great. I even recently added 4 three month old newbies, and haven't had any problems. I did try to get less aggressive type birds. I guess I also just got lucky.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom