Small tiny black bugs in my coop.

Mickey211

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hi everyone I’m new to chicken keeping, and as I was cleaning out my coop this morning I noticed these tiny black bugs they are less than a millimeter and there is hundreds of them, they are all under the perches and there is some in the laying boxes. I have had this problem before and treated it by doing a full clean out of the coop especially the effected areas then put new bedding in and sprinkled DE everywhere and mixed it in. I have no idea what else to do.
Please Help

Have you checked your hen's vents, neck, and wings for any signs of the bugs? If they appeared dark in color, it's possible you saw northern fowl mites. Mites generally are only on the chicken during nighttime hours, so you may need to check them after dark with a flashlight for any evidence of the bugs.

1611005102599.png
1611005078624.png

If you do see the bugs, it would be a good idea to treat all the birds, and dispose of all the bedding, and spray/dust the whole coop. DE is not very effective for treating any sort of ectoparasite in poultry, you would be better off getting a permethrin-based spray, or something such as elector PSP, and using that instead. In addition to spraying the birds, you will want to dispose of the bedding and spray/dust the whole coop as well. It is best to repeat this process seven to ten days afterward as well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Have you checked your hen's vents, neck, and wings for any signs of the bugs? If they appeared dark in color, it's possible you saw northern fowl mites. Mites generally are only on the chicken during nighttime hours, so you may need to check them after dark with a flash light for any evidence of the bugs.

If you do see the bugs, it would be a good idea to treat all the birds, and dispose of all the bedding, and spray/dust the whole coop. DE is not very effective for treating any sort of ectoparasite in poultry, you would be better off getting a permethrin-based spray, or something such as elector PSP, and using that instead. In addition to spraying the birds, you will want to dispose the bedding, and spray/dust the whole coop as well. This process does not kill the eggs, so repeat in seven, or ten days.
Yes I have checked my hens vents and neck, but only during the day. I will check them again tonight after dark. If I do see them what do you recommend I use, where do I get it from and how do I use it. Sorry for the questions

thankyou

Brush some into a container, like a small jar, of rubbing alcohol. Strain them throgh a white cloth or paper towel, then you can look at them with a magnifying glass and perhaps get some good photos.
good luck!

Yes I have checked my hens vents and neck, but only during the day. I will check them again tonight after dark. If I do see them what do you recommend I use, where do I get it from and how do I use it. Sorry for the questions

thankyou

The answers to your question can be found in my original post. For mites, I personally use a Premthrin based spray. You can find that at your local feed store. Simply dilute the mixture down with water per the directions, pour it into a gallon sprayer and mist each bird, focusing under the vent, wings, and neck, as well as the whole coop. Otherwise, you can get a Permethrin-based powder, and dust each bird, and the coop.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz

Back
Top Bottom