Smaller breed that will still lay a nice amount of eggs.

M

member 158781

UPDATE:

Due to an answer about a large rooster and having bantam hens, I would like to post this update:

I do have a large rooster at the moment and indeed, he probably would be too heavy for those smaller hens. I actually hadn’t thought about that.
He’s the only young chicken/rooster I have. So he may still live/be around for a long time. He’s very sweet. Not a cuddler, but he has never attacked anyone in his life and you can walk right by him. He just gets out of the way. So no way he’s going to be rehomed or become dinner. So I guess I’ll just have to do with a young rooster, some old chickens and few eggs. I will just get them over to the newer smaller coop on the porch then. Give them a heating pad in their roosting area and give them a nice old day safe from predators. Aww, I would have loved so much to have a flock with young smaller chickens. Oh well. To ALL you chicken ladies: Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I hereby officially shut down my search for smaller chickens.

Hi folks, perhaps someone knows the answer to this. At the moment I have some larger chickens. They’re older now and when they are no longer with us, I would love to have a coop with a small breed. BUT: I also want them to lay eggs. And of course not so small that they’re automatically going to be predator food. I do have 6 dogs but none of them are going after my regular chickens. (Labradors and mini dachshunds)
So which is a smaller breed that still lay a nice amount of eggs? (and of course a terribly cute breed wouldn’t hurt either, LOL)
I’m going to put this coop on my front porch and the chickens will be inside at night and free ranging during the day. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about silkies? They’re adorable. But do they thrive with all these feathers on their feet? Don’t they get infections and so? And do they lay eggs pretty well?

Based on my research, being that I have two daughters who want chickens that look like they are straight out of a Dr. Seuss book, is that the fluffy ornamental chickens are poor layers. There are some pretty small sized chickens like Campine, Spitzhauben, colored Leghorns, and some more that I’m forgetting right now that would produce well for you.

Back
Top Bottom