Smaller chicks in the bunch? Roosters?

OkieUpNorth

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
I am raising 3 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Black Australorps (one of the RIRs died within days of coming home, failure to thrive). I have noticed by far that the Orpingtons are the most social of my 3 breeds, and are more apt to come up to me not just for treats, but for interaction.

One of my Orpingtons in particular took a shine to me really early on (a week old, she was already running up to me and hopping into my hand, falling asleep on my chest, etc.). We're currently 7-8 weeks in, and she's still the first to rush up to me, and flies up onto my arm if I don't pick her up immediately. It's quite lovely really. The other Orpingtons are close, but not like her.

But she's on the runty side. She's always been smaller than her 3 other Orpington sisters, bought from the same clutch. The other pullets are starting to show red patches where their waddles will be, but her red waddle patches aren't there.

Could she be a rooster? Ace Hardware (where we got them), claims to have ordered only females, but I know without a blood test, sexing techniques aren't always spot-on. Could it be possible she's a he? If so, it would be nice that our rooster loves me so much.

Anyone have a runty hen that turned out to actually be a rooster? When did you really start to see signs it was a rooster?

Generally rooster chicks are stocky, and they feather out more slowly and are the first to get pink combs and wattles. Orpingtons in general are nice quiet birds, they are one of my favorite breeds. My guess is the smaller chick is lowest in the pecking order and sees you as a friend, and a break from being bottom bird.

She's the one on the far left, the one with the grown-out BlueKote on her feathers.
(they sure do love their wheatgrass treats!)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 54
Pretty girl.
Thank you! Yeah, I just wanted to double check. My husband said something about roos growing slower, but we're first time chicken parents, so it's all new and our info isn't always accurate.

She's such a great little chicken friend. Glad I don't have to change her name. Dandelion would be an awfully weird name for a Roo.

Thank you! Yeah, I just wanted to double check. My husband said something about roos growing slower, but we're first time chicken parents, so it's all new and our info isn't always accurate.

She's such a great little chicken friend. Glad I don't have to change her name. Dandelion would be an awfully weird name for a Roo.

Boys feather out slower but get a red comb before the girls. Last year I was in the same boat lol I had two Buff Orps. Cornie and Buffy lol

Back
Top Bottom