Smaller coop, but large weatherproof run...how many birds would you keep?

Do you plan to let them out of the run (free range?) 'd say 5. You can always expand the coop itself. I started in that same set up with 6 and it was to crammed at roosting time. They did not have adequate space in between them. They fit, but it should be their option to be right next to each other or not. Not to scare you but I had all RIR's and 2 roosting on either side of 1 low in the order pecked her all night and broke her neck. Harsh lesson learned many years ago about over-crowding. Since then I've expanded to the point it is 120sq ft. and I can have 20 comfortably in the roosting section (another part is brooder only.) You could even install a metal shed in front of the run and open up the coop if you don't want to build.
Yes, in nice weather, when we are in the yard they can free range. So maybe several times a week, 8 months out of the year?
Def don't want any neck breaking! Yikes! I guess I was figuring if roosting was provided in the run, some may choose to sleep there? But maybe not.

Yes, in nice weather, when we are in the yard they can free range. So maybe several times a week, 8 months out of the year?
Def don't want any neck breaking! Yikes! I guess I was figuring if roosting was provided in the run, some may choose to sleep there? But maybe not.
If they're shut in a run at night, they should. They'll treat it like a big coop. Mine always return, even if it's just to sleep in the run (there's one duck I have to convince sometimes).

I may just have to sell quite a few birds. But how do I pick?!

First, consider what your goals for your chickens actually are -- which not only *may* but probably *will* change over the years.

Here are my thoughts from last fall: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/musing-on-the-fall-culling.1545184/

I'm about to pull a few more hens this spring, trying to choose 2-3 to sell along with a cockerel that I'd rather sell than eat. I have one with a rose comb that I want to eliminate and a couple with poorer color, but I am going to take a better-educated look at body type too with the goal of improving a flaw in my overall flock that I wasn't aware of last year.

Occasional free-ranging doesn't compensate for crowding. It's a nice adjunct, but doesn't function as a substitute when the need the space all daylight hours every day. :)

The free range plan will definitely help them to not feel over crowded, I do the same thing, they range all winter but not all summer. They don't typically roost in seperate areas unless you have 2 different batches/flocks. I know its hard to believe since they seem to hate each other but they prefer to roost together. I really am sorry to scare you my story, it's not typical and they must have thought something was wrong with her. They don't treat those with issues very nicely.

Yes, that was something I had been considering was a second coop. My hubby also has separate goose and turkey runs to build and raised garden beds...all due to my requests. So, I'm also trying to avoid divorce here.😜 I may just have to sell quite a few birds. But how do I pick?! 😩
pick between the birds or the husband? :lau

Back
Top Bottom