Smaller coop, but large weatherproof run...how many birds would you keep?

You could raise a lot of birds to use that space. I'd not hesitate to put 10 in it, even a dozen. Where the problem arises with smaller spaces is when integrating birds later to an existing flock. Birds raised together from chicks do quite well in small coops and medium sized runs.

I've had over fifteen grow outs voluntarily pack themselves into a 3x3x2 coop every night until twenty weeks of age. Now that's something I don't recommend but it gives you an idea of how well a batch of chicks raised together will behave.

What did you order? You were asking how will you choose.... you can probably get some opinions if its known what breeds you're getting. And of course if you have to many cockerels then that's an easy answer, etc.
I got surprise boxes 😅 So far I have 4 ISA browns, 1 ISA brown cockerel, 3 starlight greens (I’m pretty sure) and 2 unknown black pullets.

I have a cackle mini surprise box coming March 1st. Usually around 25 birds come in that box. Could be anything… polish, heritage breeds, production breeds etc etc. I thought about cancelling it but I’m just so darn excited (and my kids are too).

I also have 3 laying hens already. 😅 2 Golden Comets, and 1 speckled Sussex mutt.

The golden comets will definitely have to go, as they are WITCHY and are never going to accept other birds. One GC is the mother of the sussex mix and half the time she doesn’t even accept her! One of the golden comets killed two the sussex’s other siblings. They are terrible. I’ve only kept them bc they are our source of eggs right now.

Also giving a friend 3 of the ISAs. And probably won’t keep the ISA cockerel.

So, as you see, I have gotten myself in quite the predicament lol.

I also have 6 heritage turkey poults I got too. (They’re getting their own pen) I’m going to only keep 2 hens and a tom out of that too. If I can part with them, that is. 😳

Well you know, to each their own... That is a crap ton more than I have on 2 acres that opens up to many acres of Nat'l forest. At least now you've got some real food for thought extremes from my true account of how roosting space mattered enough that I lost a chicken to the person who would put even more in the same tiny coop as I had (I scratch my head over that as mine were already side by side with no space between them.) I didn't catch how much property you're on but hopefully you can expand. Give away, expand, whatever works for you. Hope it all shakes out the way you want it to. Good Luck!

So our coop is 4x5x4 with a total of 4 nest boxes hanging on the sides and plenty of ventilation. Our run is covered and windblocked: size of 20x8. We are in central NC, so winters are mild.

My problem here is I'm accumulating more chicks than I can keep 😜, but I am trying to decide how many can live healthy and happy in this space.
I understand the general recommendation is 4sq ft/bird in the coop, however, they will never be shut in the coop...it will only be used for sleeping and laying. Furthermore, since we have milder winters, we could place roosting options out of the coop and in the run.
Good ? I'm in south central NC and am curious to see how that works!

Back
Top Bottom