Smallest egg ever, what the heck is this???

DottieMarie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
South East MI
10017_tiny_egg.jpg

I have 2 year old chickens, varius large breeds and this is what I found today....what the heck? It may be just over an inch long and has some weight to it although I haven't opened it...yet. Any ideas why this would happen? Now I do have 5 very young pullets, not of laying age that have access to the nesting boxes but I've never even seen them enter this coop so I really don't think it came from one of them. Btw, they are only 10 to 12 weeks old.
hu.gif

Yep, that's what it looks like. don't get alarmed. nothing is wrong. I freaked out when i got one, but the hens kept on laying regular size eggs the next day or so.

Yea Sometime's they will lay super tiny.I had one once I think came from My serama hen but not sure no bigger than a robin's egg.I had to entertain the fact that it "might" hatch and put in my Sportsman but hubby was right it was not fertile.If you are incubating egg's I would put it in anyway Ya never know
big_smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of worried, wondering if something was wrong with one of the girls. Not sure I understand what a fart egg is but I'm going to open it to see if there is a yolk or not. I'll let you know!!

Dwarf, Wind, Cock or Fart Eggs are eggs that do not contain a yolk. Usually belong to a hen on her first attempts a egg laying, before she is properly "geared" up.

Sometimes you get one of those mini eggs from standard and banties. The wind/fart/whatever eggs have no yolks but sometimes they do. Someone on here even hatched one! I'll find the thread and link you to it. It was quite a discussion

I got one of these a while back and then recently got a super sized double yolker from the same hen. Thought an emu had got in there!! She certainly made a lot of noise laying it!

My girls have been laying for weeks, I got none of the odd eggs I've heard people talk about, then I found several weird ones: A couple with no shell, some shaped differently, and a tiny one.
I thought it strange that they had been laying regularly before they laid the oddities.

Back
Top Bottom