Smallest egg I've ever seen!!

Pics

Paulinefrn

Songster
Aug 7, 2018
Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)
Back in September, my hen hei-hei layed this adorable little egg. Took some photos, and when I cracked it there was even a little yolk inside! I was already pretty impressed at the size of this one...
Snapchat-1219618841.jpg

But today, I stumbled upon the monster of all tiny eggs.. I don't know how it even is possible for a hen to lay such a small egg!
Not even sure who layed it, as they all lay in the same nesting box.

IMG_20200118_095915.jpg

IMG_20200118_095731.jpg

Length: 9mm
Width: 8mm

Im wondering if there's even anything inside.. The shell seems pretty thick

But there you go, that was my discovery of the day :)

Soo guys. I feel kinda dumb because I was so convinced it was a chicken egg..
But I found another one today

IMG_20200119_120818.jpg

Alright, it can't be a chicken egg. They couldn't have layed an egg this small twice in a row! I opened one of them..

IMG_20200119_214117.jpg

Couldn't get a better photo, but the egg shell is much thinner than I thought but was still very though... And some small blood vessels. Well, I should have tried candelling it or something before opening it :(( feel really bad now.

I'm pretty sure it's from a gecko, and I might try to hatch the other one? There's definitely something going on in there, some blood vessels and some development.

I think what caught me off guard was how similar the colours were to my actual chicken eggs, and how strong the shell was for such a small egg.. And also how I found it with the other eggs!

I'll go look tomorrow to see If I can find any others buried in the straw.

Well now that sounds like fun! Hatching an egg with no idea what animal you are going to get!!!:pop
Can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic 😂 I'm actually looking it up right now and I'm pretty sure it's a tropical house gecko.. We have quite a lot of them around and the eggs are very similar to the one I have. Plus, the ambiant temperature is hot enough and there's no need for an incubator or anything! This is actually pretty exciting :D

A flock of hens always select just one or two nests as their favorite. I've even seen 2 and 3 hens in the same nest at the same time.
Creatures of habit.
It must have been a wind egg. Perhaps a piece of tissue sloughed off entering the oviduct which started the process of adding albumen and an egg shell with no yolk.

Back
Top Bottom