SmartSide Siding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
  2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    It would be fine to use just keep it from actually touching the ground.

3. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    I looked at the stuff yesterday at Lowes and questioned the insulation capabilities since it is “engineered” of who knows what, especially if it was made in China, and that it is less than ½” thick. I settled for T1-11 siding at about $38 a sheet. You probably get winters a little chillier that I do in California, so you may be planning in double wall with insulation inside. This is 19/32” thick.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Works great, easy to use, tounge & groove design stops drafts, and is a little more weather resistant than plywood

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Will it work well for a cold climate like Maine Winters? Do you use it at the N. Pole (???????)

I WASN'T going to insulate, just concentrate on a draft free environment with good ventialtion.
    I have a smaller coop that I purchased last year that has what seems to be 3/8"-ish siding on it and it was NOT insulated and the birds did fine.
    This year I have more birds and am building my own 7'x7' coop...

Steve

6. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I think it will do just fine for you. I am here in western MD and get pretty harsh winters and this is the same stuff that i used .Easy to work with and its already weather protected with primer so just paint if you want to.Go for it.

7. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    its good stuff and made using no urea formaldehyde

8. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    We used this http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 it is a cement board siding. We are renovating hubby's garage and had some left over pieces that we used on the sides of the coop. I like the looks of it and it really does take paint well. I only used one coat and it covered nicely. First few pieces I used primer but by the 3rd piece ran out and I just used paint and it worked great, wish I could say the same for my trim painting abilities [​IMG] I am caulking any potential draft areas and if we have to I will use a heat light during winter, we'll see [​IMG]

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I looked at the stuff yesterday at Lowes and questioned the insulation capabilities

Siding doesn't have "insulation capabilities," no matter how thick it is

One is sawdust and glue and the other is plywood and glue

Both will require painting to make them last​

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I used it and like it. I am in a cold climate and did not insulate my coup. My chickens were just fine last winter. That siding was really easy to put up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by